[SOLVED] Motherboard Audio

gilmar

Honorable
Jul 26, 2015
Hi, I have Windows 98SE running on my PC.
My motherboard is Biostar P4M890 M7 TE.
I have fixed the cable labeled audio from the casing to the pins labeled audio on the motherboard.
Please forgive me if I am using the wrong terms.
Everything is running okay but there is no sound.
I installed Realtek AC97 audio driver because the drivers from the MOBO site is for newer Windows but still no sound.
DXDIAG doesn't detect any device or driver under sound.
My options for audio are greyed out under multimedia.
I checked BIOS and found Azalia HDA is Auto
Reading the motherboard manual, it stated
This header allows user to connect the front audio output cable with the PC front panel. It will disable the output on back panel audio connectors. (Should I disconnect the cable audio from the motherboard?)
I don't know what that means.
I have only 3 jacks at the back.
I have no idea how else to troubleshoot.
Thanks

Last edited:
Solution
What do you want to use, the front or the back audio? If you want to use the back disconnect the wires on the MB. If you want to use the output on the front at the very least disconnect the wires at the back. If you want to use lots of speakers then you will need and amplifier.
What do you want to use, the front or the back audio? If you want to use the back disconnect the wires on the MB. If you want to use the output on the front at the very least disconnect the wires at the back. If you want to use lots of speakers then you will need and amplifier.

Solution

gilmar

Honorable
Jul 26, 2015
Hi. What do you mean by back audio? is it the audio jacks at the back of my casing? I have 2 speakers only.

Okay, I want to use the back panels so I have disconnected the cable from the MB. Still no luck. My onboard audio is not being detected in DxDiag. Still no playback media too. When trying to play media I have error 80040256, no hardware or hardware not responding. There are no start up and shut down sounds either. When I open Device Manager, there is no Sounds, Device and Game Controllers tab. Could it be that my onboard audio is burnt?

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2020
I have a similar issue with also Biostar board. in my case the only working is the front Audio jack the back audio port doesnt have a sound but it detected my earphone the currently im using just dont have a sound. It happends after i update my realtek Audio driver. Already did the troubleshooting and reinstalling drivers but it doesnt work maybe i did it wrong maybe the update isnt compatible with my PC? anyone can help me with this. Btw im running Windows 10 64bit with Biostar H310M Intel G5400.