[SOLVED] motherboard backing plate loose with standoff screws

manute771

Prominent
Apr 22, 2022
I already posted here about my overheating issues. I decided to just buy another cooling unit.

CORSAIR - iCUE H150i ELITE CAPELLIX CPU Cooler - Black (cooler)
ASUS ROG Strix B550-F Gaming (WiFi 6) (motherboard)
AMD Ryzen 9 5900 (processor)

So the issue is that there are no threaded insert (screw holes) in the motherboard for the standoff screws. I have a backplate which provides them.

However, when i screw in the standoff screws for the AMD processor supplied by the Corsair cooler, the back plate doesn't secure to the back of the mother board. I haven't tried to seat the heat sink because it seems that it would not be secured to the processor given the fact that the back plate is able to move up and down even when the standoff screws are in place.

I swear I have never had this many issues with a build before.

Any suggestions?

Thanks as always.

Solution
Ok this may prove to show me as an idiot but at this point I dont care... does the back plate attach via screws or does it use an adhesive. I noticed that there seems to be a thing plastic layer on one end and didn't know if that needs to be pealed off and stuck to the motherboard.
All Ryzen MBs come with a back plate, it's just a matter of how they are attached. I believe that all Asus MBs come with back plate and 4 screw points go right thru MB. Because of that most coolers don't come with back plate but on AM4 use existing ones. If a cooler comes with own back plate, use that one.

manute771

Prominent
Apr 22, 2022
Ok this may prove to show me as an idiot but at this point I dont care... does the back plate attach via screws or does it use an adhesive. I noticed that there seems to be a thing plastic layer on one end and didn't know if that needs to be pealed off and stuck to the motherboard.

All Ryzen MBs come with a back plate, it's just a matter of how they are attached. I believe that all Asus MBs come with back plate and 4 screw points go right thru MB. Because of that most coolers don't come with back plate but on AM4 use existing ones. If a cooler comes with own back plate, use that one.

Solution