Question Motherboard beeps 2 times

AdamantPearce

Honorable
Feb 7, 2015
Hi,

I have got a Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P motherboard and I have had this computer since 2014, for about 5 years now. Today my motherboard beeps 2 times and then it restarts itself, beeps again and restarts. Same thing over and over again.

I was wondering if someone could help me with this issue, cheers!

AshMetalRaf

Reputable
Sep 19, 2018
Hi, I have tried removing the ram and putting it back in and it still does the same thing. I have also tried removing it, turning the pc on, switching it off and putting the ram back in and it does the same thing.
How many RAM sticks you have? If you have multiple for e.g. 4x4 remove 1 and run the PC with only 3 sticks of Ram. if beeping persists, remove another ram and run it with 2 rams until you the beeping stops

Irisena

Commendable
Oct 1, 2019
(edit, this is for AWARD BIOS)
2 short beep :CMOS Error
1 long beep and 1 short beep:Memory error

if cmos, then try to short some pins for restarting CMOS, consult to your mobo manual.
if RAM, then try to remove it one by one as the guy above me said.

for AMI Bios
2 short beep:Memory parity check error. (basically RAM issue)

good luck troubleshooting it.

AdamantPearce

Honorable
Feb 7, 2015
How many RAM sticks you have? If you have multiple for e.g. 4x4 remove 1 and run the PC with only 3 sticks of Ram. if beeping persists, remove another ram and run it with 2 rams until you the beeping stops
I have got 2 sticks of ram, I removed one and then turned it on but the same thing happened. I then put it back in and removed the the other and the same thing happened.

AdamantPearce

Honorable
Feb 7, 2015
(edit, this is for AWARD BIOS)
2 short beep :CMOS Error
1 long beep and 1 short beep:Memory error

if cmos, then try to short some pins for restarting CMOS, consult to your mobo manual.
if RAM, then try to remove it one by one as the guy above me said.

for AMI Bios
2 short beep:Memory parity check error. (basically RAM issue)

good luck troubleshooting it.
I've tried restarting my CMOS and still no luck

AshMetalRaf

Reputable
Sep 19, 2018
When I take it all out, it just beeps lots of times
That is not what i meant. The computer will obviously not function without having RAM installed. When it beeps 2 TIMES it indicates that your RAM is faulty -- It is causing this problem..And by removing 1 ram at a time, we can find out which RAM stick is damaged. That being said, Your Motherboard only support DDR3 RAM so make sure to check your RAM is DDR3, else A DDR4 will not work as it's incompatible on your Motherboard.

AdamantPearce

Honorable
Feb 7, 2015
That is not what i meant. The computer will obviously not function without having RAM installed. When it beeps 2 TIMES it indicates that your RAM is faulty -- It is causing this problem..And by removing 1 ram at a time, we can find out which RAM stick is damaged. That being said, Your Motherboard only support DDR3 RAM so make sure to check your RAM is DDR3, else A DDR4 will not work as it's incompatible on your Motherboard.
Yeah, it is ddr3 ram because I have had the pc since 2014 and I had to replace the ram in the past as well because it was faulty.

I'll just buy 2 new sticks of the ram I have now, cheers.

Also, could you inform me on why ram becomes faulty so randomly? Yesterday it was fine but today it isn't. I'm not too much into PCs as I used to be so I don't have the bed t knowledge anymore haha

AshMetalRaf

Reputable
Sep 19, 2018
Yeah, it is ddr3 ram because I have had the pc since 2014 and I had to replace the ram in the past as well because it was faulty.

I'll just buy 2 new sticks of the ram I have now, cheers.

Also, could you inform me on why ram becomes faulty so randomly? Yesterday it was fine but today it isn't. I'm not too much into PCs as I used to be so I don't have the bed t knowledge anymore haha
Excessive heat will most likely damage the RAM.
Before buying RAM chips, I would highly recommend taking your Computer to nearest Repair Shop and have him install a RAM for a better result -- you never know, the Memory socket might be the culprit..

AdamantPearce

Honorable
Feb 7, 2015
Excessive heat will most likely damage the RAM.
Before buying RAM chips, I would highly recommend taking your Computer to nearest Repair Shop and have him install a RAM for a better result -- you never know, the Memory socket might be the culprit..
Hi, the new ram is installed however it still hasn't fixed the problem. I should also note after the two beeps, the cpu fan turns of.

AshMetalRaf

Reputable
Sep 19, 2018
Hi, the new ram is installed however it still hasn't fixed the problem. I should also note after the two beeps, the cpu fan turns of.
Try resetting the BIOS by replacing the CMOS battery
Shutdown PC
Remove power cord
Find the battery on the motherboard (as shown in the picture)
Remove it
Wait 5 to 10 mins
Put the battery back
Turn on the PC
cmos-battery-1.jpg

If that didn't fix it I'm afraid the memory socket pins are damaged.

AshMetalRaf

Reputable
Sep 19, 2018
What is the best way to remove the battery?
You can use a screw driver. There's a tiny little metal clip right hand side of the CMOS coin cell, with the screw driver, push the clip to the right side to pull the CMOS out, you can simply pull it out with your hand afterward, it will pop up by its own once the clip is pushed. (refer to the picture above, the clip in shown in the CMOS on right hand side)