Question Motherboard/BIOS not loading the settings correctly?

Straton_

Prominent
May 9, 2019
Hello!

I have a Gigabyte x470 aorus ultra gaming (rev1), and i recently upgraded from 16(2x8)gb ram to 32(4x8)gb, I bought the same memory i had before (HX430C15PB3K2).
At first with my 16gb i had the xmp enabled (so i could run the 3000MHz, that was advartised on the RAM), but after i got the other 16, i had to manually overclock the memory.
Now, i dont have any problem with the overclock, the problem comes after the OC, when i start my PC.

After shutting down the PC and starting it (not restart), the mobo loads my settings, and in windows I have the OC preset RAM values (the timings, the DRAM voltage, everything seems fine), but when I do a memtest it shows me errors (Aida64, Prime95, memtest, every one of the fails).

Now here comes the interesting part:
After restarting the PC, and going into the BIOS (profile been loaded, every value is the same as before) to save the already saved values (not changing anything, just simply clicking save & exit), I have no issue running any kind of memory stress test (Aida64, Prime95, memtest completes without a single error)...

The mobo battery seems to be working fine (?), since it saves and loads my settings, but something is definitely not okay....
When everything is working, the Temp. during the stress test wont go above 77°C

Sidenotes:
The CPU is not overclocked, only the ram.
Bios version : F51 (upgraded from F3 when i got my new RAM!!!!!!)
When I get the memtest error(s) and run sfc/scannow, it shows error(s) that cant be resolved, but when I have no issue with the memtests, sfc/scannow shows no error!

(Sorry for spelling errors....)

Straton_

Prominent
May 9, 2019
Some tests that I made after making the post:
  • The default RAM speed (2400MHz) runs without any problem, problems are starting to occur when i change a single value regarding to the RAM
  • Overclocking the CPU has no effect on the output of the stresstest:
- OC cpu + OC ram = fail
- Def. cpu + OC ram = fail
- Def. cpu + Def. ram = pass
- OC cpu + Def. ram = pass
- (Clearly there is something that the mobo doesnt like about the RAM OC)
- Running tests with OC'd ram with 1.4V (instead of the 1.35V), still fails (but if I save the BIOS settings and exit, it will not fail the tests, just like with 1.35V)
Conclusion:
The frequency of the CPU doesn't matter. The Voltage of the RAM doesn't matter (1.35V and 1.4V same results). The VDDP Voltage doesn't matter (Auto vs Manual 0.9V).

Straton_

Prominent
May 9, 2019
Things i have done after my last comment:
Testing individual mem. dimms with every stick i had on base, xmp, and on manual OC:
  • Slot 1+3, old ram = passes base, xmp, and manual timings
  • Slot 2+4, old ram = same result
  • Slot 1+3, new ram = passes base, xmp, and manual timings
  • Slot 2+4, new ram = same result
So both the motherboard and the memory works fine, at least it seems that way.
After the testing i did some research on 4 dimm memory with ryzen chips, and turns out my RAM OC (2933MHz) is not really possible, so I settled at 2733MHz.

I also played around and tried most of the combination of these: Ram MHz(2400-2933 and everything between), CAS(14-21), tRCD(16-18), tRP(16-18), tRAS(32-42), tRC(52-69), CR(1T-2T), tRFC(420-525), ProcODT (40-60 Ohm range), and nothing could make the system work properly...

Yet i couldn't figure out the original problem, which is why did I have different results after saving the BIOS settings, despite not changing anything.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts