Question Motherboard BIOS problem?

JaymeB

Reputable
Dec 22, 2015
My problem is that my mouse and keyboard are not working. I installed windows on an ssd and put it in my computer, the problem is I can't use my mouse and keyboard, they both light up, but aren't functional. Also, when I start to boot up, at the bottom of the screen it doesn't show hotkeys to get into bios or boot options etc.... Is there anyway to fix this without buying a new motherboard or having to buy Ps/2 keyboard and mouse from amazon, which might not even work?

Ralston18

Titan
Computer hardware specs? Which edition/version of Windows 10?

Make and models for keyboard and mouse? Wired/wireless?

Do the keyboard and mouse work on another computer?

Do other keyboards and mice work on the computer in question?

You may just need to use some other keyboard and mouse to download the manufacturer's drivers for the mouse and keyboard set you wish to use.

JaymeB

Reputable
Dec 22, 2015
If you installed Windows onto your SSD while it was in another computer and then transferred it to this computer, that's probably why it's not working. It doesn't recognize the new motherboard (and USB ports) the keyboard and mouse are plugged into.

-Wolf sends
I was factory resseting my hard drive (main drive) yesterday and at 97% completion my computer turned off by itself. When I tried to boot up, it brought me to the windows setup screen like it should do, but my keyboard and mouse were not working. So, why would a hard drive that I've been using as my main drive suddenly have this problem? This is before I installed windows on the ssd. I tried to install from my main computer via usb flash drive but I can't because keyboard and mouse won't work.

JaymeB

Reputable
Dec 22, 2015
Computer hardware specs? Which edition/version of Windows 10?

Make and models for keyboard and mouse? Wired/wireless?

Do the keyboard and mouse work on another computer?

Do other keyboards and mice work on the computer in question?

You may just need to use some other keyboard and mouse to download the manufacturer's drivers for the mouse and keyboard set you wish to use.
Yes they both work on another computer.

Other devices do not work on this computer, for example I inserted a usb flash drive and no light showed up and another keyboard and mouse did not work either.

My keyboard and mouse are the Coolermasterkeys lite l combo. (wired).

Windows 10 pro

Pc specs: XFX RX480 4GB
I3 6100 @3.7ghz
8gb Ram
H110m-a motherboard
EVGA 600w PSU
Sandisk 240gb SSD
Western Digital 500GB hard drive.

Ralston18

Titan
In agreement with @Wolfshadw.

Overall, just moving a SSD with Windows from one PC to another is generally quite problematic.

Are you able to put the SSD back into the original host computer to backup all data, etc.? (Verify the backups.)

Then do a clean install of Windows 10 on the SSD in the new computer, then copy the data back and otherwise restore the configuration settings.

Afterthought: have you tried booting into Safe Mode on the computer where the SSD is installed? Worth a try, I think....

JaymeB

Reputable
Dec 22, 2015
In agreement with @Wolfshadw.

Overall, just moving a SSD with Windows from one PC to another is generally quite problematic.

Are you able to put the SSD back into the original host computer to backup all data, etc.? (Verify the backups.)

Then do a clean install of Windows 10 on the SSD in the new computer, then copy the data back and otherwise restore the configuration settings.

Afterthought: have you tried booting into Safe Mode on the computer where the SSD is installed? Worth a try, I think....
Like I previously stated, when I was wiping all the data from my old hard drive, it got to 97% then my computer shut off, after I rebooted it the mouse and keyboard were not working, so I can't install windows from my main computer because I have no mouse and keyboard functionality.

Ralston18

Titan
As I understand the postings to date you do have two computers: 1.) the computer that received the Windows SSD and 2.) your main computer.

And the SSD with Windows is a copy/ clone from the main computer....

So you installed the SSD with Windows 10 in your computer 1.) and then proceeded to wipe the data on the original already installed HDD. Is that correct?

Overall, it does appear that things have gone quite astray. Worst case being perhaps you were actually wiping the SSD....

You may need to start over completely over via a clean install of Windows on the computer (1. above) with the SSD installed.

E.g.:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

Feel free to correct and/or otherwise clarify my understanding of the events and the order of those events.

JaymeB

Reputable
Dec 22, 2015
As I understand the postings to date you do have two computers: 1.) the computer that received the Windows SSD and 2.) your main computer.

And the SSD with Windows is a copy/ clone from the main computer....

So you installed the SSD with Windows 10 in your computer 1.) and then proceeded to wipe the data on the original already installed HDD. Is that correct?

Overall, it does appear that things have gone quite astray. Worst case being perhaps you were actually wiping the SSD....

You may need to start over completely over via a clean install of Windows on the computer (1. above) with the SSD installed.

E.g.:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

Feel free to correct and/or otherwise clarify my understanding of the events and the order of those events.
I'll break it down into steps:

1. I went to the store and bought an SSD because I wanted an upgrade from my hard drive.

2. I wanted to start fresh, so before I even unpackaged the ssd, I decided to wipe the data from my hard drive.

3. When the factory reset was at 97%, the computer just shut off.

4. When I booted again, the mouse and keyboard weren't working.

5. I then unboxed the ssd and put it in a laptop to install windows on it, and maybe it would fix the problems I was having

6. I put the ssd back in my main computer and the keyboard and mouse still did not work.

Last night I tried an old motherboard I had which has a different cpu in it, and everything started to work perfectly. Now I'm at the point of now I'm confused if it was my CPU causing the problems or the motherboard?

Ralston18

Titan
Steps 2 and 3 above deleted the Windows OS from your computer. Windows 10 is no longer fully or functionally installed. Likely the hard drive became corrupted in the process. (HDD is now moot and will need to be fully formatted for any reuse.)

The host computer system at that point would no longer be bootable.

When you installed Windows on the SSD via the laptop the Windows installation was "configured" for the laptop.

Moving the SSD to the main computer was not "recognized" due to hardware differences between the laptop and main computer.

If an old motherboard worked my thought is that Windows was at least able to configure itself to work with the older hardware.

To migrate your Windows 10 installation software to the new motherboard and SSD - a clean installation will most likely be necessary.

JaymeB

Reputable
Dec 22, 2015
Steps 2 and 3 above deleted the Windows OS from your computer. Windows 10 is no longer fully or functionally installed. Likely the hard drive became corrupted in the process. (HDD is now moot and will need to be fully formatted for any reuse.)

The host computer system at that point would no longer be bootable.

When you installed Windows on the SSD via the laptop the Windows installation was "configured" for the laptop.

Moving the SSD to the main computer was not "recognized" due to hardware differences between the laptop and main computer.

If an old motherboard worked my thought is that Windows was at least able to configure itself to work with the older hardware.

To migrate your Windows 10 installation software to the new motherboard and SSD - a clean installation will most likely be necessary.
So, do you think I just got lucky that the ssd worked with the old motherboard? Or can I just buy a new motherboard?

Ralston18

Titan
I have, on occasions, transferred drives from system to system. Overall, I cloned the original drive and installed the clone in the new host computer.

Sometimes the transfer worked and sometimes it did not. I tend to use older recycled computers and components. For the most part Windows would launch and work with just the built in drivers.

I would later update the drivers in the new host system as warranted. I could swap the clone back into the original host computer and "stage" drivers as needed if there was some problem.

Eventually the original drive would be re-formatted for other use and the old hardware recycled.

My last attempt to do the above did not work: I did end up doing a clean install. An old computer was absolutely refusing to go from 1803 to 1809 much less 1903. So I tinkered with transferring the drive into a "new" computer. No go. Clean install worked and now running 1903 very nicely.

Yes, you have the option to purchase a new motherboard.

However, I recommend that you consider borrowing a PS/2 keyboard and mouse from a family member or friend.

Once you have "input" you may be able to proceed with your plan. May or may not work.

Will leave the matter of luck to "Opinions and Experiences".....

JaymeB

Reputable
Dec 22, 2015
I have, on occasions, transferred drives from system to system. Overall, I cloned the original drive and installed the clone in the new host computer.

Sometimes the transfer worked and sometimes it did not. I tend to use older recycled computers and components. For the most part Windows would launch and work with just the built in drivers.

I would later update the drivers in the new host system as warranted. I could swap the clone back into the original host computer and "stage" drivers as needed if there was some problem.

Eventually the original drive would be re-formatted for other use and the old hardware recycled.

My last attempt to do the above did not work: I did end up doing a clean install. An old computer was absolutely refusing to go from 1803 to 1809 much less 1903. So I tinkered with transferring the drive into a "new" computer. No go. Clean install worked and now running 1903 very nicely.

Yes, you have the option to purchase a new motherboard.

However, I recommend that you consider borrowing a PS/2 keyboard and mouse from a family member or friend.

Once you have "input" you may be able to proceed with your plan. May or may not work.

Will leave the matter of luck to "Opinions and Experiences".....
So, I just went and bought a Ps/2 keyboard and mouse, and they both are working. Now what do I do? How do I reinstall windows from my usb if my motherboard won't detect the usb slots?