Question Motherboard BIOS update has made XMP unusable ?

Cyber_Akuma

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
This is the system in question: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/BJ2CC6

It was built in late 2019 and was working fine until about two months ago when it's GTX 770 started having major issues that was a clear indicator of a dying GPU, I attempted several tests/maintenance/updates but to no avail, so the GPU has been temporarily replaced with a GT 720. After this however the system started randomly Bluescreening on boot and sometimes would work, and other times would completely not.

Now though after hours and hours of testing over the weeks I think I may have finally narrowed it down. During all said tests/maintenance/updates the primary BIOS on the motherboard was updated to the latest version during the troubleshooting with the GTX 770, version F36f (It was on a version that was about a year or so older previously), and everything is pointing to this BIOS version being the culprit when XMP is enabled. At this point I have confirmed that if XMP is enabled regardless of which RAM stick I have installed, or even with both installed, there is a 50% to about 75% chance the RAM will be completely unusable and toss literally tens of thousands of errors instantly on RAM tests (the times it does not, it seems to work fine even with a day of testing.... until next reboot). However, when XMP is disabled it works fine 100% of the time.

The motherboard has a dual BIOS, so I switched to it's secondary BIOS which is still on the original release version F4, and that one works perfectly fine with XMP on or off single or dual stick. Considering that there have been over a dozen BIOS updates since F4 with multiple security patches, support for 5000 series CPUs (A planned upgrade soon), resizable BAR and other features, staying on F4 isn't an option.

I also noticed that the motherboard is hardware revision 1.0 and there has been a 1.1 and 1.2 since, but I have no idea what changed.

Can anyone offer advice on why updating the BIOS seems to have prevented the RAM from running with XMP now? Anyone else experienced something like this?

Cyber_Akuma

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
Ok, so after days of testing the RAM with XMP on and off through multiple reboots and shutdowns and switching between BIOS 1 that had firmware F36f and BIOS 2 that has F4, it's without a doubt something in the BIOS that broke XMP.

These are all the BIOS versions currently available for this board: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X570-AORUS-MASTER-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios

I tried downgrading to F35... same issue, then down to F32 since that used AGESA 1.1.0.0 as I was told that apparently Gigabyte boards didn't play nice with Zen 2 and XMP on AGESA version 1.2.0.1 or higher.

It worked, but just to test that theory, I upgraded to F33 which uses AGESA 1.2.0.2... and it still worked. F34 and that still worked too.

So definitely not AGESA's fault. F35 is a pretty major update with several changes, it mentions:

• Major vulnerabilities updates, customers are strongly encouraged to update to this release at the earliest.

• Introduce capsule BIOS support starting this version.

• Update AGESA ComboV2 1.2.0.5

• Change default status of AMD PSP fTPM to Enabled for addressing basic Windows 11 requirements

So I am thinking it was very likely one of those several changes that broke XMP... shame that this also makes it pretty much impossible to pin-point what specifically caused it, and since it's not said AGESA on Zen 2 issue, this makes me wonder if the eventual upgrade to a 5700X will even fix this issue for future firmware upgrades or not. (It also makes me worry about applying update F21 on my own Z490 Aorus Pro AX board, since that's the latest update from about a year ago... so they are likely never updating this board again, and it mentions "Customers will NOT be able to reverse to previous BIOS version due to major vulnerabilities concerns" and this board does NOT have a dual-BIOS so if this update breaks my Z490 board I am pretty screwed....)