Question Motherboard BIOS

May 27, 2019
Hi, i'm a total beginner in hardware and stuffs and I just got a custom PC just few days ago.
I got the local store to order and assemble everything for me except for the SSD (has no OS) which I provided myself.

So, the first thing I encountered was the USB 2.0 ports in the back panel weren't functioning when I started it. I couldn't move my peripherals until I switched it to the USB 3.0 ports from the casing itself and it worked right away. I got to install the OS and everything else but I realised the issues were still there after I restarted the pc.

Issue :
  • The BIOS loads very long, it stays at the "AORUS logo" for a very long time, sometimes 5-10 minutes, sometimes it loads instantly. Even when I try to go into BIOS it just stays there and loads for quite a while as well.
  • The USB ports, very frequently it does not work. The lights are up but none are working, sometimes swapping ports work but sometimes it doesn't work even after swapping all of the ports. Or some ports work and some doesn't. It happens even in the UEFI, and after loading the OS. What I realised is when I get to load the OS, whenever it happens, it tries to install the peripheral drivers even when It has already installed it before and it happens all the time.

Note :
- When everything worked fine, the OS has no issues, the bios loads to the OS instantly, and I have a pretty good performance in gaming comparing to other people's benchmarks. It's like a 50-50 chance of encountering it smoothly and I'm not sure if its because it "warmed up".

- I was careless enough to get a CPU cooler that was too big for the casing. It had a height of 169mm but my clearance was just 165mm. However the guy who assembled it actually screwed the Tempered Glass side panel to hold the CPU, the cooler was obviously pressed onto the motherboard and I could see the motherboard and the casing's plate being pushed back a little bit.
I'm not sure if this could be the cause to any problems I'm facing right now.

- The BIOS version of the motherboard was f9a (Which I couldn't find the details about it), dated 19 January 2019. I tried flashing it to version F9 (Asia), dated 15 March 2019. But didn't fix anything.

P.S. The technician said Gigabyte actually told them to update several things but still has the same problems.

Specs:
CPU: Intel i7-8700
MOBO: Aorus Z390 Pro Wifi
GPU: Gigabyte RTX2070 Windforce 8GB
RAM: GSkill TridentZ 8GBx2 3200MHz
PSU: Super Flower Leadex II 650W 80+Gold Full Modular (Using provided modular cables)
SSD: Sk Hynix SC308 512GB
CPU Cooler : Gigabyte ATC700
Casing : NZXT H500
Peripherals :
Logitech G910 Orion Spark
Predator Cestus 500
Windows 10 Pro

be sure the cpu cooler is not sitting that extremely tight on the CPU and socket

remove the side panel of the pc, so the cooler will not bend the motherboard anymore

how hot is the CPU while in BIOS?

2x8GB are recognized at 3200MHz (1600MHz)?

check the cpu socket pins of the motherboard for bent or discolored pins

May 27, 2019
Hi, thanks for the reply.

I've opened the side panel to make sure it doesn't apply anymore pressures.

Yes, 3200Mhz when XMP is enabled, 2133 when disabled.

I don't think I wanna disassemble the parts and have the technician put the blame on me but I already contacted the technician about the issue, apparently they don't know what is causing it yet so I'm sending it back to the store to see if they can diagnose the issue or maybe help me replace a another mobo to see if it fixes the problem

May 27, 2019
Okay, so I had the pc running for around 8 hours already and 1-2 hours of gaming and then I shut it down, waited for a minute then power it back up. BIOS loaded perfectly quick.

I'd take it back to the people who made it for you and get them ot fix it.
I'd suspect something is failing, because no motherboard should take that long to boot up.
Try removing 1 of the ram sticks and swap them around - see if this helps boot up
So I did what you said after the test I did, loaded up pretty quick with both RAMs and single RAM.

Note:
  • So, I assume the motherboard actually worked better after warming up?
  • One thing I just found out is that whenever I unplug or plug in the usb ports, the RGB restarts.
  • When plugging in the Predator Mouse to the USB 2.0 port, it does not move, but RGB is running its profile from the software
  • When plugging in the Logitech Keyboard to the USB 2.0 port, it does not move, and RGB is not running its profile from the software
  • When plugging both to any back and front USB3.0 ports, everything works fine with the RGB running its profile.

May 27, 2019
It wouldn't be a power issue since i'm using a 650W right? Because I'm planning to add another 1TB SSD and 4TB HDD.

Also, is it a good practice to keep the BIOS and Drivers updated?

May 27, 2019
Ok so, the technician said they tested and didn’t get ANY of the problems I mentioned. So I’m clueless about what could be the problem.
Could it be from any problem a such as the power cables, or extensions (I’m connecting to an extension)? Is it possible?