[SOLVED] Motherboard Blue Light

hp2015

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2013
Hi, i cannot use by PC when I press power button a blue light led lights on the motherboard.
Is there anything I can check to understand if the motherboard or PSU Is broken?

Note: I don't have another PSU or motherboard to switch the current one and test.

Solution
Clear the CMOS (bios) by moving the clear CMOS jumper for a moment. Then try to boot. If that fails then I would pull it out of the case.

Disassemble and do a desktop build on a sheet of cardboard, which is non-conductive and won't damage parts. The motherboard and CPU are compatible and the first bios made for the board supports your CPU.

Take a very close look at the pins in the motherboard socket for the CPU to see if any appear bent. If so, try to take a picture of the pin(s) and our resident pin straightening expert USAFRet can take a look at it and make suggestions.

RealBeast

Titan
Hi, i cannot use by PC when I press power button a blue light led lights on the motherboard.
Is there anything I can check to understand if the motherboard or PSU Is broken?

Note: I don't have another PSU or motherboard to switch the current one and test.
Please post the details of your build, particularly the motherboard, CPU, PSU, and memory models, thanks.

hp2015

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2013
Please post the details of your build, particularly the motherboard, CPU, PSU, and memory models, thanks.
Motherboard - MSI B150M PRO-DH
CPU - Intel I5-6400
PSU - Thermaltake Smart SE 630W
RAM - Corsair DDR4 2400 MHZ

I build the pc some years ago and today I tried to clear it from dust and after that, it's not running anymore.

Here is the screenshot with the light emitted from the motherboard - https://imageshack.com/i/pmPeu2Agj

Thanks! :)

RealBeast

Titan
Sorry, but the MSI gallery does not enlarge pictures clearly so I cannot determine what that LED is for, it is not listed in the manual and all the diagnostic LEDs are up by the memory and 24 pin connector.

I would check all the connectors at both ends and the seating of all devices. As a last resort (what I actually do first) is to pull everything out of the case and build it on a sheet of cardboard on my desktop. It's easier to work with and eliminates motherboard shorts and case wiring issues.

hp2015

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2013
Sorry, but the MSI gallery does not enlarge pictures clearly so I cannot determine what that LED is for, it is not listed in the manual and all the diagnostic LEDs are up by the memory and 24 pin connector.

I would check all the connectors at both ends and the seating of all devices. As a last resort (what I actually do first) is to pull everything out of the case and build it on a sheet of cardboard on my desktop. It's easier to work with and eliminates motherboard shorts and case wiring issues.

Tried the other option and having the same result. I suspect I broke the motherboard somehow :(

I looked at some sellable motherboards for this CPU and I found out that there aren't many cheap alternatives considering that it requires a motherboard specifically for INTEL CPU of 6th generation.

I was wondering if it's better to buy directly a new CPU such as i3-9100F with a new motherboard instead of buying an old generation motherboard, considering that it would cost only approx 75 € more? From what I understand this solution will allow me to reuse all existing pieces such as RAM, SSD, PSU, and external graphic card.

What do you think?

hp2015

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2013
Iff your current memory is DDR4, then it probably does make more sense to buy a new board and CPU, it will be cheaper in the long run.

I set the new motherboard H310M-PRO-VDH-PLUS with the processor i3-9100F but I am not able to make it work as the motherboard is having the CPU light on as per screenshot https://imageshack.com/i/pmhCxLSej .

I checked multiple times and the CPU results to be correctly set but for some reason, it's not recognized :(:(

Is there anything else to check beside if the CPU was correctly set? I am thinking on returning these items back...

RealBeast

Titan
Clear the CMOS (bios) by moving the clear CMOS jumper for a moment. Then try to boot. If that fails then I would pull it out of the case.

Disassemble and do a desktop build on a sheet of cardboard, which is non-conductive and won't damage parts. The motherboard and CPU are compatible and the first bios made for the board supports your CPU.

Take a very close look at the pins in the motherboard socket for the CPU to see if any appear bent. If so, try to take a picture of the pin(s) and our resident pin straightening expert USAFRet can take a look at it and make suggestions.

Solution