Motherboard Boot LED stays red

Jul 17, 2018
I've been going through this for quite a while with a lot of different problems ranging from CPU incompatibility

Motherboard : MSI B350 PC MATE (BIOS has been updated to be compatible with my CPU)
CPU / APU : Ryzen 3 2200G
RAM : Corsair ValueSelect 1x8GB DDR4
GPU : Palit 4GB GTX 1050 Ti
PSU : Corsair VS550
HDD x 1

This is my 2nd return from Scan and in the note they gave me, the RAM was the only thing that was faulty and with a new ram, it posted fine. I got the things back today and put it together (Correctly I'm pretty sure) and tried the PC.

The CPU, VGA led turn on momentarily and turn off hopefully meaning they work. And then the Boot LED turns on and stays on. There is no post to the screen as it stays black, it isn't even noticed by the monitor as it continues to search for a signal.

I've tried reading through other people's queries and I'd like to avoid resetting the CMOS and BIOS because I had to send this motherboard off to get a BIOS update so I highly doubt this is the problem.

Solution
This drive supposedly has Windows on it and is bootable?

if so....it would probably give you problems in another machine due to the different hardware.

I might, at this point reset the BIOS. It may actually be at the defaults now....but it's hard to be sure.

Resetting the BIOS doesn't change the BIOS....it just changes the settings to the most common ones. You won't hurt anything.....and you won't be worse off than you are now.

I have to run....hope this helps!
Jul 17, 2018

I believe it is connected properly with the correct SATA cables alongside being connected to the MB using a wire that came with it

You should have two cables connected to it.
One should go to the motherboard.
One should go to the power supply.

If I had another drive....I might connect it up just to see if the MB recognizes that drive.

It almost seems as though your motherboard is not recognizing any drives....otherwise I would think you would make it to the BIOS.

Jul 17, 2018

Yes I have both the SATA cable from the Power supply and one that connects to the motherboard

Jul 17, 2018

This is a first build and due to me having to return a lot of faulty parts and the motherboard to be updated, the drive has simply been sitting in the case. It's been untouched since I first bought it so I naturally crossed off it being faulty as the problem but I don't know how I can test to see if it works or not since I don't have another PC to put it into

This drive supposedly has Windows on it and is bootable?

if so....it would probably give you problems in another machine due to the different hardware.

I might, at this point reset the BIOS. It may actually be at the defaults now....but it's hard to be sure.

Resetting the BIOS doesn't change the BIOS....it just changes the settings to the most common ones. You won't hurt anything.....and you won't be worse off than you are now.

I have to run....hope this helps!

Solution
Jul 17, 2018

Would resetting the BIOS not revert the update I had done on the motherboard that allowed the CPU to be compatible with the motherboard itself?

No. I don't mean go back in "versions" of the BIOS.
There is or should be an option in the BIOS that says something like "reset to defaults".
All this does is resets the values of the things you can select in the BIOS to their default values.