[SOLVED] Motherboard Botthlenecking Interenet Speeds

ShavedKitty

Commendable
Oct 20, 2019
I have 1 gig internet but unfortunately I only get 16.5 mb/down and 2.2 mb/up. I have the STRIX X570-E motherboard. I have tried using the WiFi and I still get the same slow speeds. All my other internet devices get full speed internet. When I first built this computer a couple months ago the internet ran great! I tried new CAT 7 cables. I tried to reinstall the drivers for all the ethernet ports. Im assuming I do not have the drivers installed right? It says they installed but I do not see them anywhere. My Mac Laptop and other Gaming PC get the 1 gig internet speed so it has to be something with my ethernet drivers.
Thanks!

ShavedKitty

Commendable
Oct 20, 2019
I took the same ethernet cable that was plugged into my pc and plugged it into my laptop then I was getting the speeds I am expecting so its nothing with the cable or router.

LTVETTE2

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
I would concentrate on drivers. My system was only at 200-300 mbps, once updating drivers for LAN, up to specs of 500+. Your mileage may vary. Cheaper and easier than new cables? Try via control panel in devices?

I agree that it sounds like drivers since it worked before and you've got other things on the network that are getting full speeds. What's really interesting is that your wifi is having the same issue. That could mean not necessarily a driver, but something a little higher up the line, like antivirus, etc.

Quickest way to confirm that it's not hardware--boot up a linux livecd and test the wired connection with it. If it gets gigabit speeds, it's just a windows software issue of some sort.

ShavedKitty

Commendable
Oct 20, 2019
I agree that it sounds like drivers since it worked before and you've got other things on the network that are getting full speeds. What's really interesting is that your wifi is having the same issue. That could mean not necessarily a driver, but something a little higher up the line, like antivirus, etc.

Quickest way to confirm that it's not hardware--boot up a linux livecd and test the wired connection with it. If it gets gigabit speeds, it's just a windows software issue of some sort.

My house WiFi is running great just the onboard motherboard wifi is running slow with the ethernet ports. I will have to try testing the wired connection

Reactions: SamirD

LTVETTE2

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
Can you wire direct from modem to PC? Ignore router for now? I had an issue with a router once....direct wire w/modem jumped to 960mbps :)

Process of elimination....Let us know if fixed plz. ?

Last edited:

ShavedKitty

Commendable
Oct 20, 2019
Do you have the ROG Game first software loaded? That can limit download speeds.

Thanks for all the help! I uninstalled the ROG Game First program/app and now everything is great! Special thanks to Kanewolf for the idea!

With ROG Game First:

Download : 12.17 mbps
Upload: 17.87 mbps

Without ROG Game First :

Download: 902.76 mbps
Upload: 934.95mbps

Will try to attach screenshots.

ShavedKitty

Commendable
Oct 20, 2019
Thanks! Very useful site with a lot of knowledgeable guys. I have no idea why it was doing that or how? I just uninstalled the program and haven't looked back since. Internet speeds have been as expected. I'm sure there is something in the ROG game settings I had wrong? But I have no idea what, that is a program I never really messed with.

TRENDING THREADS