[SOLVED] Motherboard bricked after Intel SGX install

Feb 13, 2019
Hi,

I was hoping someone on here might be able to give an idea on where to go next with a busted motherboard, as I seem to have been lucky enough to encounter some ridiculous low level issue and hope is rapidly disappearing.

Has anyone seen this before? A totally bricked computer after setting up intel SGX on a Skylake board and CPU?

Where the computer it at now:
  • Intel SGX install went wrong so the computer had to be force powered off
  • Motherboard CMOS has been cleared
  • Asus Flashback appears to have reflashed the BIOS successfully
  • Unplugged all SATA components, the only things left are two non-SLI GPUs, memory, CPU and an Asus Thunderbolt PCI board
  • HDMI has been tried on two totally different monitors
  • No video output over displayport out of GPU, not even BIOS
  • No video output over HDMI out of either of two (non-SLI) GPUs, not even BIOS
  • No video output over the motherboard's built in HDMI
  • Can't even view the BIOS or anything, totally blank screen
  • It does appear to have a slight bit of life - the monitor input switcher does "pause" for a few moments on detecting HDMI as if maybe there can be some life there.
  • Asus board now progresses no further than code A2 (IDE detect)

It went like this:
  1. Attempting to setup PC to play ultra-HD blu ray disks.
  2. Cyberlink advisor points out that Intel SGX (Software Guard Extension) is required, which is known to be on Kaby Lake or newer.
  3. I read somewhere that some Skylake CPUs support Intel SGX, and my Skylake motherboard also does appear to be a lucky rare beast and has an SGX option in the BIOS.
  4. Looking through the BIOS there is Intel SGX, so I change it from "Disabled" to "Software Enabled"
  5. Boot into windows
  6. Use the Cyberlink advisor to install Intel SGX (PGW?), in case there are different versions or the Intel SGX SDK wasn't necessary to install.
  7. The install went wrong somehow so I gave it a few minutes and force powered off the machine (perhaps should have given it longer...)
  8. PC is busted, no video output, and motherboard stops on code 60 (DXE core is started)
  9. Reset CMOS (via button), Reflash BIOS (via flashback) and motherboard now stops on code A2 (IDE detect), but still no video output or BIOS of any kind :(

All hard drives are now disconnected, but the GPUs, memory, CPU and thunderbolt PCI card are still in place (really dont want to start pulling out, but that's next on the agenda?)
Motherboard - Asus Z170 Deluxe (Skylake)
CPU - Intel Skylake i5 4 core

Thank you for reading and for any help (or even non-help)

James

Feb 13, 2019
For the CMOS reset it was just using the onboard reset button. Would you recommend removing the battery for a while instead? Does that actually make a difference?

If there's nothing else that can be done it'll have to be bare essentials...

Cheers
James

TRENDING THREADS