Question motherboard burned left side of CPU

Nov 28, 2020
My pc used to have sudden crashes where both monitors would turn black all sound would stop but all fans in pc were still running. I generally though this was an overheating problem so I decided to deep clean and dust everything off with compressed air can. When plugging everything back in I heard a small pop and a smell of something burned. I had no clue what it was, so I suspected my psu. I did the psu test with the paperclip and it ran fine. So, I plugged in only the essentials like cpu, motherboard, cpu cooler, and ram and tried to boot. But on the left side of the cpu socket smoke was coming out and burned. Do you think this could've taken any components out with it and what could've been the cause of this. I don't want to get a new motherboard and burn it the same way so if I did anything wrong lmk.

My Current Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Rwgqbh

Last edited:
Your pc parpicker list is set to private. So smoke coming from any part of your motherboard is catastrophic. I would unplug your pc from wall, and remove the cpu from the board and inspect the slot and cpu. Inspect and see if perhaps thermal paste got in somewhere. But if you had shutdown problems before this all happened it could have been your psu going bad, or your cpu overheating.

Nov 28, 2020
Your pc parpicker list is set to private. So smoke coming from any part of your motherboard is catastrophic. I would unplug your pc from wall, and remove the cpu from the board and inspect the slot and cpu. Inspect and see if perhaps thermal paste got in somewhere. But if you had shutdown problems before this all happened it could have been your psu going bad, or your cpu overheating.
I did disconnect everything from the pc as if i was going to a build from scratch. The smoke was coming from the motherboard left of the CPU socket not inside of it. I don't believe it was a problem with CPU. If you look at my motherboard in my build the burn was underneath the white covering on top left of the mobo. (I set it to public now)

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS