Question Motherboard cables

Dec 6, 2022
Hey guys,my father brought me a pc from his work and it came with some unplugged cables and i don t know where to put them,i also put my hdds from my other pc,i tried to start it and it wont start up,so i supposed the problem was from the unplugged cables..The pc is a Lenovo Thinkcenter e73,i made some photos but i dont know how to put them here,even tho they wouldnt help much

Do the cables look like this inside?

lenovo-sff-desktop-thinkcentre-e73-internal-detail-zoom-9.jpg

Reactions: xCristi
Dec 6, 2022

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
all those on the left of the pic. green orange black and yellow should be attached to the motherboard. they should be front panel connections, audio and other connections. you'll have to trace the cables back to where they come from to figure out what they go to. you may need to get someone familiar with building pc's to help with that as it is not always obvious what goes where.

as for the hdd's, you'll need to go into the bios and make sure the old boot drive is set to boot first, or if you want your win 10 then disconnect the other drive and see if it finds your install.

however, it is advised to do a fresh windows install when moving to a new pc. too many problems that can have you chasing down problems constantly to try it any other way.

Dec 6, 2022
all those on the left of the pic. green orange black and yellow should be attached to the motherboard. they should be front panel connections, audio and other connections. you'll have to trace the cables back to where they come from to figure out what they go to. you may need to get someone familiar with building pc's to help with that as it is not always obvious what goes where.

as for the hdd's, you'll need to go into the bios and make sure the old boot drive is set to boot first, or if you want your win 10 then disconnect the other drive and see if it finds your install.

however, it is advised to do a fresh windows install when moving to a new pc. too many problems that can have you chasing down problems constantly to try it any other way.

Hey guys,my father brought me a pc from his work and it came with some unplugged cables and i don t know where to put them,i also put my hdds from my other pc,i tried to start it and it wont start up,so i supposed the problem was from the unplugged cables..The pc is a Lenovo Thinkcenter e73,i made some photos but i dont know how to put them here,even tho they wouldnt help much

View: https://i.imgur.com/Jh39smE.jpg

View: https://i.imgur.com/UvQWuGV.jpg

View: https://i.imgur.com/AARBOvH.jpg

View: https://i.imgur.com/AJc3ID7.jpg

i made more pictures because the problem still is and i didn t find any yt videos that explain how and where to connect all those unplugged cables

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
you can look closely and see if they are labeled. sometimes they will say "usb" "hd audio" or other indicators of where they go.

but honestly without having it in front of me i can't really say what goes where. someone who knows what they are doing needs to get their hands on it to figure it out. you can google the pc model and see if you can find a manual for the motherboard on it. but that still does not tell you what each cable actually is.

Richj444

Prominent
May 25, 2022
I think this link shows the user manual for your PC.

Look at page 12 to see what all the connectors are on the mainboard, then try to match the loose cables (hopefully they are labeled) to the proper connector.

Dec 6, 2022
you can look closely and see if they are labeled. sometimes they will say "usb" "hd audio" or other indicators of where they go.

but honestly without having it in front of me i can't really say what goes where. someone who knows what they are doing needs to get their hands on it to figure it out. you can google the pc model and see if you can find a manual for the motherboard on it. but that still does not tell you what each cable actually is.
i took it to some experts and they figured it out,thanks a lot for you help