Question Motherboard can't find ANY ssd when I attach an M.2 drive

Apr 19, 2019
Just put together a new pc with a Z390 Aorus Pro. Latest bios.

At first I only had a new M.2 ssd in it. I installed W10 and it was working fine initially. Turned it off to go to work. Came home and it wouldn't boot past the bios. It couldnt detect the m.2.

I turned it off, removed and reinserted the m.2 and then it ran fine.

Later booted up a 3rd time and it ran fine for a few minutes then froze.

While reinstalling the m.2 I took the opportunity to install my graphics card along with my two old 2.5 ssds. It wouldn't boot. the bios detected my graphics card, but none of the ssds.

I then removed the m.2. and found the bios successfully found my two 2.5 ssds. I ran windows on one of them and its been working fine through multiple boots.

What could be going on? If the m.2 had never worked to begin with I would think it was simply busted or incompatible, but it worked three times before the motherboard decided to stop playing nice with it. I made sure to have my 2.5 at top boot priority but still whenever I stick in the m.2 the z390 becomes blind to all ssds

Apr 19, 2019
You've probably used the port under the graphics card, that disables 2 SATA ports (4 and 5) when M.2 installed. Try other SATA ports for the 2.5 SSDs. If still no go, it could be a defective M.2 drive.

Yes, they were in 4 and 5. I moved them to 2 and 3. Now they will work with the m.2 installed but the m.2 itself still wont show. Maybe it would be best to return it and grab a third 2.5 instead.

MasterBlaster22

Reputable
Apr 20, 2019
Similar problem, different board, I wish I knew which ports my second M.2 drive occupied, because I can get the bios to recognize it, but windows disk manager apparently doesn't know that it is there.