[SOLVED] Motherboard causing crazy spikes, only fixed by being on power saver mode?

Mar 26, 2020
Recently bought a pc and having been having this problem from day 1, if i'm on anything other than power saver mode my motherboard spikes upto 65c everytime i do anything, even rapidly moving the mouse will cause it in some cases. anyone have any idea what could be causing this? with power saver mode activated the temp rarely pushes 35c, again this is all on the motherboard but the cpu also rises by a small amount in unison. help would much be appreciated thanks!

specs:
CPU
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor

RAM
16GB 2x8

Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. PRIME B450M-A (AM4)

Graphics
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER (MSI)

Storage
465GB Samsung SSD 860 EVO M.2 500GB (SATA (SSD)

Solution
All fine then. Even moving the mouse can raise the frequency of the CPU and increase the temperature for a second.
While in power saver mode, the CPU won´t clock that high and is much colder.
In BIOS the CPU is always clocked high and is hotter while in idle in windows. That´s normal as well.

If the CPU gets hotter than 86°C under load, you should consider checking the correct seating of the cpu cooler. Eventually getting a better CPU cooler or reapply thermal paste to your current one.
Mar 26, 2020
Is the PC overclocked?

How do you read the temperature?

Get into BIOS for about 1 minute and have a look how high it is there.

I'm not sure, This PC was prebuilt, i've checked and found that it wasnt the motherboard temp going crazy it was infact the CPU, which idles at around 45-49cc in BIOS

Last edited:
All fine then. Even moving the mouse can raise the frequency of the CPU and increase the temperature for a second.
While in power saver mode, the CPU won´t clock that high and is much colder.
In BIOS the CPU is always clocked high and is hotter while in idle in windows. That´s normal as well.

If the CPU gets hotter than 86°C under load, you should consider checking the correct seating of the cpu cooler. Eventually getting a better CPU cooler or reapply thermal paste to your current one.

Solution