Question Motherboard causing speaker noise and monitor flicker??

willapp

Reputable
Sep 10, 2016
I'm running out of options to understand a couple of issues happening with my PC right now. A few months ago, I bought a new CPU (i7 8700K), Mobo (MSI Z390 Gaming Plus), RAM and GPU (MSI RTX2070). Installation went smoothly and I was happy with it all.

A month or so later, I bought a music keyboard and along with it, a USB audio interface (PreSonus AudioBox 96) and some studio monitor speaker (Yamaha HS-5's). Straight away I noticed that, when playing games, the speakers emit a variable high-pitch noise. I've searched the internet high and low for a solution, but yet to fix the problem. It only happens when the GPU is under heavy load - the volume and pitch gets louder as I see the GPU % increasing in Windows. I tried my old GTX970 - the same problem, albeit slightly quieter. I've ruled out a ground loop and all the typical suggestions.

I also bought a new monitor around the same time as the other components: an AOC Agon 35" Ultrawide. After a while, I noticed some screen flickering, mostly during games but also with some apps such as Lightroom and Unity. I managed to RMA the monitor and got a replacement a couple of weeks ago, but lo and behold the issue is still there which makes me wonder if it wasn't the monitor at all! (Whoops)

So, I'm now suspicious that my motherboard might be faulty and whether it's possible that this is causing both the audio noise (trying different GPUs seems to rule out a card issue) and the screen flicker. Unfortunately, I can't borrow a motherboard and I'm slightly reluctant to just buy another one in case it doesn't fix the problem. (I've already overspent on a UPS, new cables, powered USB hub etc. to try and fix the audio noise).

It could be PSU I suppose, but I ran some test software that shows it's outputting solid voltages, and it's a Corsair Gold 850W that worked fine before the upgrade.

Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated!

Lutfij

Titan
Corsair is the brand of the PSU while 850W is the wattage. Gold is the 80+ rating of the unit but it does not state which model of the unit you have from Corsair's product lineup. You also forgot to mention the age of the PSU. To add, which version of Windows 10 are you on? You should make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard.

You could try and uninstall the drivers installed by the OS for the USB interface and see if that changes your experience. Try reinstalling your chipset/USB drivers. Speaking of reinstalling, you did a clean install for the OS?

willapp

Reputable
Sep 10, 2016
Apologies, I got the wrong PSU information - it's actually this https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B011RGX5MU (EVGA SuperNOVA 850 P2, 80+ PLATINUM 850W) and I bought it June 2017 so it's not that old.

Have done the BIOS update. Windows 10 version will be the latest (1903). I've tried re-installing the USB interface and it makes no difference. I've also tried my friend's Yamaha audio interface and it shows the same problem, so it isn't a driver or hardware issue on the interface side. (My interface on his PC also works fine, no noise).