Feb 18, 2022
very peculiar situation. first of all, my specs:

PSU: hx850i
MOBO: msi meg z490 ace
gpu: evga 3070 ftw3 (rgb)
cpu: i9 10900f
cooler: z73 aio
ram: 4x8 rgb vengeance

Cant remember when the coil whine started, but its as long as i can remember. I thought it was the power supply at first but when doing some quick ear testing, the sound seems louder around the rear io than when my ear is directly against the psu.

I realized that when I unpluged the 16 pin connector to the gpu, i ofcourse get no post when i boot, but there is absolutely 0 coil whine. Some people say that this would suggest its definitely gpu coil whine, but again, the sound definitely seems to originate around the cpu/rear io area of my motherboard rather than directly from the gpu. Another important thing to note is that im not super tech savvy and had a friend build my pc for me, and one thing i noticed is that my motherboard is not properly screwed into the case. I can press a corner of the motherboard and it has significant lee way between the screws and the case. If i wiggle one of the usbs connected to the rear io, i can also shift the motherboard a couple millimeters that way. I don't know if this is related.

The coil whine happens all the time, even at idle when the gpu fans are not spinning. The sound is inconsistent, sometimes ticking like a clock, sometimes screeching like running your nails on chalkboard. It's an electric noise, not from a cable against a fan.

here is a short video of what it sounds like, and here is another issue my motherboard suffers from, though it may be completely unrelated.

For now, I'm waiting to see a friend in a couple days who will bring me his gpu so we can test another gpu and see whether the coil whine stops. Until then, I'd like to see some of your thoughts. The rgb flickering seems to be a firmware/bios issue. could an update fix both the rgb and noise? what else can i try?

Solution
There are no big enough coils on the motherboard or GPU to be the source (they will in some extreme conditions, not the way you describe)... I vote PSU. There could be no noise if the PC does not POST as there is no load.

I can press a corner of the motherboard and it has significant lee way between the screws and the case.
A Philips screwdriver attached to your hand could solve that part.
There are no big enough coils on the motherboard or GPU to be the source (they will in some extreme conditions, not the way you describe)... I vote PSU. There could be no noise if the PC does not POST as there is no load.

I can press a corner of the motherboard and it has significant lee way between the screws and the case.
A Philips screwdriver attached to your hand could solve that part.

Last edited:
Solution