Motherboard compatability---Noob

a_dark_vision

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2007
My memory cards slots may have just died, so I am thinking of replacing the motherboard. My question is do I need to get a dell motherboard, or can I upgraded with little trouble.

Dimension E510 ,Intel Pentium D Processor 940 with Dual CoreTechnology (3.2 GHz)
2GB DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz
128MB ATI Hyper Memory PCI-Express X16 (DVI/VGA/TV out) Radeon X300 SE
160GB SATA II Hard Drive (7200RPM)
Windows Xp Home

Depends on your knowledge of changing boards. According to similar posts in the dell forum, you have a btx motherboard, which is hard to find. Found similar posts that indicate that the e520 dell board may work and run certain models of core2 duo cpus, allowing you to upgrade later. Found one seller, red planet motherboards, for $99.95 plus shipping on ebay. Check pictures and see how similar the e520 board is to your old 510 board. The dell model number is WG864/OWG864. Your other option is to change to an atx case with power supply and use a regular atx board, moving all your dell drives to the new case. I recommend a p35 chipset board. They start at about $92 for the gigabyte p35-DS3L. Your old dell power supply may work fine, but I would go ahead and change it if you decide to change cases.