[SOLVED] Motherboard Compatability

Nov 10, 2020
Hi, Im trying to figure out if a specific GPU is Compatible with a motherboard and Im not very tech savvy, I know how to look things up, ask questions and thats about it, and looking it up hasnt helped.

The motherboard in question is the Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H, and I want to know if the AMD RX 580 4gb is compatible with it.
If anyone could help me it would be much appreciated

Solution
Hi, Im trying to figure out if a specific GPU is Compatible with a motherboard and Im not very tech savvy, I know how to look things up, ask questions and thats about it, and looking it up hasnt helped.

The motherboard in question is the Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H, and I want to know if the AMD RX 580 4gb is compatible with it.
Yes, it is compatible. Uninstall old drivers first and install AMD drivers when you put the new GPU in.

RealBeast

Titan

Yes, it is compatible. Uninstall old drivers first and install AMD drivers when you put the new GPU in.

Solution
Nov 10, 2020
Okay, Thank you.

Could you also tell me if the GTX 1080 is compatible with the Asus Prime B450M-A?
I currently have a RX580, and Im going to sell it to my friend and upgrade to a better GPU. I want the best bang for my buck, and am deciding between the gtx 1060S, the rx 590 (if its compatible with my motherboard which idk if it is) and the GTX 1080. I dont know very much about AMD GPU's and Im more familiar with Nvidia in terms of hardware

RealBeast

Titan
Okay, Thank you.

Could you also tell me if the GTX 1080 is compatible with the Asus Prime B450M-A?
I currently have a RX580, and Im going to sell it to my friend and upgrade to a better GPU. I want the best bang for my buck, and am deciding between the gtx 1060S, the rx 590 (if its compatible with my motherboard which idk if it is) and the GTX 1080. I dont know very much about AMD GPU's and Im more familiar with Nvidia in terms of hardware
Yes, the GTX 1080 is compatible.

RealBeast

Titan
Okay, and what about the 590?
Sorry, I dont know how to tell when a GPU is compatible or not. I dont really know the ins and outs
As long as you have a power supply that can support the GPU and the physical space in your case, all PCIe x16 cards and boards will work together -- the PCIe 2.0 and 3.0 standards are forward and backward compatible. So a 2.0 card works in a 3.0 slot and a 3.0 card works in a 2.0 slot, and of course each works in its own.

Nov 10, 2020
As long as you have a power supply that can support the GPU and the physical space in your case, all PCIe x16 cards and boards will work together -- the PCIe 2.0 and 3.0 standards are forward and backward compatible. So a 2.0 card works in a 3.0 slot and a 3.0 card works in a 2.0 slot, and of course each works in its own.
I've heard of PCle x16 but I dont necessarily know what it means, or how to figure out if a card is PCle x16, And I'm not sure what PCle 2.0 and 3.0 are, I havent heard of those. I guess I just dont know what PCle is

RealBeast

Titan
I've heard of PCle x16 but I dont necessarily know what it means, or how to figure out if a card is PCle x16, And I'm not sure what PCle 2.0 and 3.0 are, I havent heard of those. I guess I just dont know what PCle is
All cards made for at least the past 10-15 years are PCIe, and the versions of PCIe just have to do with increasing speed similar to USB 2.0, 3.0, 3.1, 3.2. Prior to PCIe most cards were AGP and I have a couple of those ancient cards somewhere but no boards that would use them.

x16 is the long slot, there usually are also some x1 (very short) slots for things like wireless cards. There is a ton of information and pictures HERE if you want to get into more detail.