[SOLVED] Motherboard compatibility issue?

Apr 10, 2020
Basically I think the motherboard doesn't work or is incompatible with my CPU. Anytime I try to boot the PC it won't go to a start up screen (POST or BIOS I think it's called) and the backport won't read any of the HDMI, USBs or other inputs I plug in. I went online to try and get some help and I haven't found something that fixed the problem.
Here's a video showing the issue.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAQrVU5OXMs&feature=youtu.be

The build has these parts: CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: ASRock B450M-HDV R4.0 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
Storage: Samsung 860 QVO 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card
Power Supply: EVGA BR 600 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

Here are some things I've tried:
1. I tried plugging in my HDMI through the motherboard first, then I decided to do it through my GPU (not shown in the video).
The GPU works, the fans are spinning and I can see the GPU lighting up. The monitor still doesn't detect anything though.
  1. I checked my CPU to be 100% sure I inserted it correctly. It is and the pins are undamaged.
  2. I checked if the power pins were connected properly. I've done it more than 3 times and I am confident they are installed correctly.
  3. I made sure the RAMs were installed properly.
  4. Someone suggested I should remove the lithium coin battery inside, power the PC on without it for 30 seconds, and then place it back after 30 seconds. I did and nothing changed. (I placed it back).
I spoke to a guy who works with PC and he basically tells me that it's technically compatible but I need to have another CPU to perform some form of retroactive BIOS update.

I feel like I've exhausted everything, can I still build this PC without any of BIOS wizardry shenanigans or am I better of just returning the motherboard and getting another motherboard? Can someone give me a suggestion of a good motherboard? Thank you.

Solution
Your CPU requires you to have a graphics card installed. It does not have integrated graphics. Those motherboard ports only work with APU's, such as the 2200g. I would either return the board, and get something like the Asrock B450m AC, which has the needed bios, or to find a 1st or 2nd gen CPU, that would allow you to update your bios.

logainofhades

Titan
Your CPU requires you to have a graphics card installed. It does not have integrated graphics. Those motherboard ports only work with APU's, such as the 2200g. I would either return the board, and get something like the Asrock B450m AC, which has the needed bios, or to find a 1st or 2nd gen CPU, that would allow you to update your bios.

Reactions: kurdtnz
Solution
Apr 10, 2020
Hello again,
Thanks for the feedback so far.
I've been browsing for motherboards and I am consdering the msi b450 gaming plus max as opposed to the tomahawk max because it's slightly cheaper from the retailer I'm considering to get it from. Are there any major differences that would warrant the tomahawk more or is it purely aesthetics/preference? They looked rather similar.
ALSO, I need to be sure if I understand this correctly. If I want to be 100% that the motherboard is able to run the CPU, I'm supposed to go to the brand's website, check for compatibility, and see if the BIOS it comes with since release has already been preinstall, correct?
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450-GAMING-PLUS-MAX.html

I think the board I'm considering is fine for the build but I want to be certain so I don't end up in the same mess as before. (It should also work with the rest of my build...right? Sorry, I find PC building still confusing and worrisome despite people telling me it's straightforward!)
Thanks!