[SOLVED] Motherboard compatibility with Deepcool Assassin III

jamok99

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2014
I need to decide on a motherboard for my Intel 12700k build using pretty low profile Kingston Fury Beast memory. I already have the Deepcool Assassin III air cooler, so I'd like that to be part of the build. I was considering the Asus ROG Strix Z690-f gaming motherboard, as well as the Strix Z690-e motherboard, but a note to Asus led to their reply that the Assassin would fit neither board.

So, my top choice is the Gigabyte Aorus Pro Z690 board. But Gigabyte replied that they don't test coolers, and advised me to ask Deepcool, so no help there. Doubt that Deepcool has tried their products with the 100's of motherboards available. (I do have the LGA 1700 socket adaptor from Deepcool.) PcPartspicker has a disclaimer they haven't tried all the dimensions needed, and other sites with compatibility notes (like pangoly.com) are silent on the subject of Deepcool.

I know it's an obscrure question, but anyone have any experience or opinions about using this cooler with the Aorus Pro Z690? I'd also consider, perhaps the MSI MEG Unify board, if anyone has experience with that. Thanks in advance for your replies!

Solution
Mike - Thanks once again for your responses. I plan to buy some Hyper Fury Beast DDR5, whose low profile should not be a problem in terms of CPU cooler clearance, esp. given that the memory slots themselves are A2 and B2. Hadn't thought about the GPU backplate, so there's another consideration, thanks. Gigabyte kissed me off, told me to ask Deepcool, and Deepcool said they can't guarantee the CPU would work with any given board. I thought from your comment that you had dimensions for the Aorus Pro mobo, but I don't see them, so I'll need to do that on my own. If I can't get them from a spec sheet (unlikely, I'd think), either, as you mentioned, I'll have to see if I get lucky and someone else has tried an Assassin cooler with an...
I need to decide on a motherboard for my Intel 12700k build using pretty low profile Kingston Fury Beast memory. I already have the Deepcool Assassin III air cooler, so I'd like that to be part of the build. I was considering the Asus ROG Strix Z690-f gaming motherboard, as well as the Strix Z690-e motherboard, but a note to Asus led to their reply that the Assassin would fit neither board.

So, my top choice is the Gigabyte Aorus Pro Z690 board. But Gigabyte replied that they don't test coolers, and advised me to ask Deepcool, so no help there. Doubt that Deepcool has tried their products with the 100's of motherboards available. (I do have the LGA 1700 socket adaptor from Deepcool.) PcPartspicker has a disclaimer they haven't tried all the dimensions needed, and other sites with compatibility notes (like pangoly.com) are silent on the subject of Deepcool.

I know it's an obscrure question, but anyone have any experience or opinions about using this cooler with the Aorus Pro Z690? I'd also consider, perhaps the MSI MEG Unify board, if anyone has experience with that. Thanks in advance for your replies!
Cooler compatibility is by CPU socket doesn't matter which MB.

jamok99

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2014
Mike - Thanks for your reply. But, respectfully, CPU socket is not the only determinant of whether a given air CPU cooler will fit a given motherboard. As I said in my post, Asus support confirmed that the Deepcool Assassin III would not fit the two motherboards I listed. The problem has been documented in several places - large air CPU coolers like the Assassin III and some of Noctua's products conflict with the heat shields of some motherboards, as there's just not enough room for the footprint of the cooler. Some people solve this by melting the plastic of their motherboard, or using a dremel tool on the heat pipes of the cooler. Not a route I want to go, hence my question about whether anyone had experience in this area with the Assassin III and Gigabyte's Aorus Pro Z690, given that Gigabyte's support says they can't answer the question.

Mike - Thanks for your reply. But, respectfully, CPU socket is not the only determinant of whether a given air CPU cooler will fit a given motherboard. As I said in my post, Asus support confirmed that the Deepcool Assassin III would not fit the two motherboards I listed. The problem has been documented in several places - large air CPU coolers like the Assassin III and some of Noctua's products conflict with the heat shields of some motherboards, as there's just not enough room for the footprint of the cooler. Some people solve this by melting the plastic of their motherboard, or using a dremel tool on the heat pipes of the cooler. Not a route I want to go, hence my question about whether anyone had experience in this area with the Assassin III and Gigabyte's Aorus Pro Z690, given that Gigabyte's support says they can't answer the question.
I was talking about mounting holes in the MB. For that ou have to ask Deepcool, they have more vested interest in checking compatibility with MBs. So, socket on your MB is LGA1700 and that's what mounting kit has to fit to. As moubting holes spacing is very close to LGA 1200. some MBs have enlarged holes to fit both.
With large coolers there are other considerations like interference with RAM (specially tall ones), some may have problems with GPUs (specially ones with a backplate. cooler's height to fit in the case and as you suspect with VRM heatsinks and plastic covers.
In case you can't get definite answer from Deepcool or any other ones, here are dimensions for it so you can measure some parts of MB

Reactions: jamok99

jamok99

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2014
Mike - right - I have already obtained from Deepcool a bracket that will adapt the Assassin III to an LGA 1700 socket. I do have a request about the 'fit' issue in with Deepcool, but I doubt they can test every motherboard, hence my question posted here.

jamok99

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2014
Mike - Thanks once again for your responses. I plan to buy some Hyper Fury Beast DDR5, whose low profile should not be a problem in terms of CPU cooler clearance, esp. given that the memory slots themselves are A2 and B2. Hadn't thought about the GPU backplate, so there's another consideration, thanks. Gigabyte kissed me off, told me to ask Deepcool, and Deepcool said they can't guarantee the CPU would work with any given board. I thought from your comment that you had dimensions for the Aorus Pro mobo, but I don't see them, so I'll need to do that on my own. If I can't get them from a spec sheet (unlikely, I'd think), either, as you mentioned, I'll have to see if I get lucky and someone else has tried an Assassin cooler with an Aorus Z690 pro mobo, or take the plunge and buy the mobo, and if I have to, swap out the cooler for a small ones. Such are the risks of building your own.

I would mark your answer as 'correct' to give you props, but I'd like to leave the thread open in case I get very, very lucky and someone has the answer to these specific parts :)

Mike - Thanks once again for your responses. I plan to buy some Hyper Fury Beast DDR5, whose low profile should not be a problem in terms of CPU cooler clearance, esp. given that the memory slots themselves are A2 and B2. Hadn't thought about the GPU backplate, so there's another consideration, thanks. Gigabyte kissed me off, told me to ask Deepcool, and Deepcool said they can't guarantee the CPU would work with any given board. I thought from your comment that you had dimensions for the Aorus Pro mobo, but I don't see them, so I'll need to do that on my own. If I can't get them from a spec sheet (unlikely, I'd think), either, as you mentioned, I'll have to see if I get lucky and someone else has tried an Assassin cooler with an Aorus Z690 pro mobo, or take the plunge and buy the mobo, and if I have to, swap out the cooler for a small ones. Such are the risks of building your own.

I would mark your answer as 'correct' to give you props, but I'd like to leave the thread open in case I get very, very lucky and someone has the answer to these specific parts :)
There's a way to find dimensions of MB that are not in specs. Might be a bit tedious but......
Used to get dimensions of derails while making ship models.
Find a good picture of MB, measure a known dimension (like CPU socket or RAM or PCIe slot etc.) and compare to dimension you want to find.

Reactions: jamok99
Solution