Question motherboard compatibility with ssd gen 4 PCIe 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

peteroussa

Reputable
Nov 30, 2019
hi i have motherboard z390 aorus ultra PCIe 3 if i bought ssd gen 4 does it work with this motherboard or i have to buy new one that support this slot hope to reply me asap

Assuming you're talking about an NVME SSD drive which will install in an M.2 socket the first thing to be sure of is that the motherboard has an appropriately keyed M.2 slot for it to fit into.

On that assumption, it should negotiate the highest PCIe bandwidth that both devices support so it will operate at gen 3 speed.

peteroussa

Reputable
Nov 30, 2019
Assuming you're talking about an NVME SSD drive which will install in an M.2 socket the first thing to be sure of is that the motherboard has an appropriately keyed M.2 slot for it to fit into.

On that assumption, it should negotiate the highest PCIe bandwidth that both devices support so it will operate at gen 3 speed.
thanks for you reply so it’ll work but not in same speed

Not entirely...also on a TRX40 motherboard with TR-3000 CPU. ;)

And BTW...even a Gen 4 capable add in controller (if they have such a thing yet) wouldn't work since everything would be limited to the Gen 3 bandwidth of the PCIe slot.
TR-3000 CPU is actually Ryzen 3rd gen. with many more PCIe lines and no, any device or adapter with PCIe 3.0 is not going to work any faster in PCIe 4.0 lanes.

Jan 4, 2022
Only way for now is to use x570 MBs made for AMD Ryzen 3rd gen and Ryzen rd gen CPU.
I have an MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge WiFi and I just got a Gen 4 stick in and it told me in the BIOS that it's NOT SUPPORTED. Really aggravates me because I spent good money for this motherboard and the one thing it doesn't seem to let you filter out on any website I have found so far is support for Gen 4 ssd's

USAFRet

Titan
I have an MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge WiFi and I just got a Gen 4 stick in and it told me in the BIOS that it's NOT SUPPORTED. Really aggravates me because I spent good money for this motherboard and the one thing it doesn't seem to let you filter out on any website I have found so far is support for Gen 4 ssd's
Please start a NEW thread for your particular parts and situation.
This one is 2 years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.