Question Motherboard Compatibility

Oct 21, 2020
Can any CPU be used with any motherboard as long as the sockets are the same? Originally I thought they could be but some people have told me that a server-grade processor can't work with a cheaper board. Can my Xeon-2650 V3 be paired with an Atermiter (see picture) motherboard?

atermiter-X99-motherboard-CPU-processor-RAM-set-with-intel-Xeon-E5-2678-V3-4pcs-16GB-64GB.jpg_Q90.jpg_.webp

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Well, that looks like a re-manufactured board. So, I know they tend to change regularly between production runs, so no guarantees. Near as I can tell, that motherboard name is associated to an X79 chipset.

So it should support anything X79 capable CPU, which your Haswell, is not.

Though the board does have LGA2011-3 right on it, so if that is true, then it is likely an X99 or C612 chipset.

Best to consult with the manual or the manufacturer to get a specific answer before investing.

Your confusion may come from both Intel and AMD playing loose with sockets.

AMD's AM4 is more or less universal, as was AM3, however, if your board was too old, or too new, then some chips would not work, even though the pin count was the same and it would physically fit.

Intel did the same thing, though less compatibility with LGA 2011, there are multiple versions of it, and while all the same physically, electrically different, so newer processors would need newer boards. They did the same with LGA1151, there are two major versions that separate 6th and 7th, and 8th and 9th generation CPUs.

Oct 21, 2020
Well, that looks like a re-manufactured board. So, I know they tend to change regularly between production runs, so no guarantees. Near as I can tell, that motherboard name is associated to an X79 chipset.

So it should support anything X79 capable CPU, which your Haswell, is not.

Though the board does have LGA2011-3 right on it, so if that is true, then it is likely an X99 or C612 chipset.

Best to consult with the manual or the manufacturer to get a specific answer before investing.

Your confusion may come from both Intel and AMD playing loose with sockets.

AMD's AM4 is more or less universal, as was AM3, however, if your board was too old, or too new, then some chips would not work, even though the pin count was the same and it would physically fit.

Intel did the same thing, though less compatibility with LGA 2011, there are multiple versions of it, and while all the same physically, electrically different, so newer processors would need newer boards. They did the same with LGA1151, there are two major versions that separate 6th and 7th, and 8th and 9th generation CPUs.
Yeah, the board is X99 because I have one that is exactly that but instead of being orange, it's green and it works just "fine" with my CPU. I keep having trouble with either the board or the power supply and I'm not entirely sure which one. Someone in the first link told me that I would have to purchase a new motherboard as my current one has died due to my CPU not being paired well with a proper motherboard (but I was confused because I thought as long as the CPU was in the correct socket that it should work fine).

https://linustechtips.com/main/topi...y-goes-corrupt/?tab=comments#comment-14147920

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ion-keep-going-corrupt.3655805/#post-22025451

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Lack of cooling on the VRMs, that could maybe account for stability issues. 105W rated chip, so could be overheating the motherboard if you aren't getting enough airflow around the socket.

To make these they basically pull chips off of broken or obsolete hardware and solder them to new boards which are strangely designed to say the least. Those chips aren't really designed to be re-usable, and those boards they used for parts may have been tossed for a reason. Might pass a smoke test, but still have something wrong with them.

Continual corruption is likely to be memory related. Hard to say if it is a power problem, even if it was really unstable power, those VRMs should clean it up to provide the low voltage for the components. But I wouldn't rule it out.