Motherboard compatible with CPU?

Kuil

Prominent
Feb 23, 2017
So I am getting the parts to finish my PC upgrades and I have ran into an issue. My friend is going to give me an Asus Maximus VI Hero motherboard for cheap, very cheap. Right now i have an i3- 4170 and gtx 1060 3gb. My issue is if they will work together, a few weeks ago on PCPARTPICKER it said they would work together but now when i look it says this.

Some Intel Z87 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Haswell Refresh CPUs. Upgrading the BIOS may require a different CPU that is supported by older BIOS revisions.

My friend also said that they would work together but I just don't know.

Simple, get your friend to update the BIOS with the CPU he had in there before giving it to you.The i3-4170 is supported on this board with BIOS versions of 1603 or newer. But I think that the 1603 version is the latest.

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/MAXIMUS_VI_HERO/HelpDesk_CPU/

Kuil

Prominent
Feb 23, 2017

I will have to ask him but I don't think that he has ever used it before, he had bought it for a build he was going to do but never got to doing the build. I think it was still in the packaging.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Ok so some boards will have a sticker on the box with the BIOS version. if it does not then you may need to use an older processor to upgrade the bios. That board does seem to have a BIOS flash feature though you may be able to flash it without a processor.

Go here and do driver and tools then BIOS and look at v 1505 with updater.

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/MAXIMUS_VI_HERO/HelpDesk_Download/

Kuil

Prominent
Feb 23, 2017

So he gave me the Motherboard yesterday and haven't really looked at it yet. I still don't quite understand, do I have to put all of my parts on it to be able to do that?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Check the instruction file with that BIOS updated, very likely you can update the BIOS with only the power supply hooked up, but also you could build the whole thing and do it too.

Kuil

Prominent
Feb 23, 2017

My new power supply will be here in like a day or two so I will try it out when I get it and hopefully it works.

Kuil

Prominent
Feb 23, 2017

What am I supposed to do with it? Do I download it?

Kuil

Prominent
Feb 23, 2017

There are no instructions in the download, do you know what I will need to do with it after I put it on a USB?

Kuil

Prominent
Feb 23, 2017

Just curious what would happen if I didn't do all of this and just use the motherboard how it is.

Kuil

Prominent
Feb 23, 2017

Ok I think I understand what to do. I download the files onto my flashdrive, then when I get all of my parts and put my pc together I plug that USB in when I first startup?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

yes although your board my not have that button on it, it may just boot into it. I am not sure.

Kuil

Prominent
Feb 23, 2017

Ok thanks I guess Ill just have to try