[SOLVED] Motherboard compatible with ram?

vtmB10

Honorable
Mar 11, 2017
Hello, i bought this motherboard : msi mag b460 torpedo and on the specs i saw that the maximum memory mhz is 2933 but i didnt notice at first and i bought a memory with 3200 mhz, it will work or not?

Solution
At the bare minimum it (should) work. Upon first boot, the PC may hang/reboot multiple times for up to 2 minutes. That's the motherboard training the RAM to get the system functioning at a basic level. After that, you may have to enable XMP while in the BIOS to get closer to 2933 as the default speed of DDR4 is 2666 Mhz. Anything above is technically "overclocked".

Given that your RAM will be limited by your motherboard however, there may not be a pre-made XMP profile clocked at precisely 2933 Mhz available. In that case, you would have to dial in the numbers manually.

If it were me, I'd attempt to simply load the 3200 Mhz XMP profile upon first boot & see what the motherboard makes of it. It will either work, or it won't.

NameChanged38

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
At the bare minimum it (should) work. Upon first boot, the PC may hang/reboot multiple times for up to 2 minutes. That's the motherboard training the RAM to get the system functioning at a basic level. After that, you may have to enable XMP while in the BIOS to get closer to 2933 as the default speed of DDR4 is 2666 Mhz. Anything above is technically "overclocked".

Given that your RAM will be limited by your motherboard however, there may not be a pre-made XMP profile clocked at precisely 2933 Mhz available. In that case, you would have to dial in the numbers manually.

If it were me, I'd attempt to simply load the 3200 Mhz XMP profile upon first boot & see what the motherboard makes of it. It will either work, or it won't.

Solution