Motherboard Continuously Beeps When New GPU Installed?

godbrother

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
Hi,

I took out the old X600Pro PCI-e GPU from my brothers old PC, and replaced it with a 7600GS.

When I did, it began to bleep. At first, I thought it was the RAM, so I took them out and replaced them, but the beeping was still there (very long continuous beeps) I noticed it was not the RAM, and that it may have been the GPU. So I took out the GPU and replaced it with the old one, and still the beeps where there. I decided to try it with no GPU at all and the beeps went away. What have I done wrong? - Is the motherboard screwed?

Help!

paperfox

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
I thought that long continuous beeps meant that you dident plug in the auxilary power pins into the graphics card.

Do the beeps stay continuous or do they stop after the post? can you get to the windows desktop?

edit: spelling and additional q's.

Ok, my mistake, i never seen a 7600GS with power connector...
Thanks 4 the info, paperfox...

So, to OP: what model do u have?

But still, continues beeps i think that's memory trouble....

Edit: but still, that's a new info for me... :)

godbrother

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
Thanks for the replies.

As I said, at first I thought it was the RAM, but RAM only bleeps 3 short bleeps. The bleeps here are very long, and continuous beeps. I counted 8 or 9 the last time. (my ears start ringing...) As I mentioned, this happend after I switched out for the new GPU... The trouble is, when I switched back the old one, the bleeps where still there. And for the people that asked, no, it dosn't post screen.

When I take out the GPU and boot the PC without a GPU installed, the bleeps go away. I can also hear the HDD load up. The moment I add a GPU to the PCI-e port, the bleeps apear and does not post screen. Do you think switching out the CMOS battery may help? (doubt it will.)

Thanks!

Edit: No, there is no extra power connecter for the new GPU, nor for the old one for that matter. It only uses a lowsy 32W's. :)

paperfox

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
Try reseting the CMOS with your old x600pro card placed in it, since we know that the computer ran fine untill you replaced that card correct?

Sometimes problems dont go away until you reset the CMOS even though you know that it is one of the components that you took out.

FunSurfer

Distinguished
Sound like something happend to the PSU. Long loud beeps are usually power related .The 7600GS probably needs more power than the X600Pro.
How much Amps does the PSU have on the 12V rail? The 7600GS needs 18A.

godbrother

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009

Hmm, you think I fried the PSU? I don't think it would overload before the system even booted... No bios, bang... nothing but beeps.

godbrother

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009

Hmm, I have no idea how to reset the jumpers on this board. It's a crappy MSI OEM board that dosn't even have an online manual or anything.

godbrother

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009

OK, I'm going to give that a try, do you think I should give the BIOS jumpers a reset too?

Well, here's what MSI's site has to say about it. Main thing seems to be identifying whether it's truly "continuous" beeps, or whether it's doing several beeps in a row to inform you of a specific problem.

Looks like it's most likely a memory problem, but if you're getting, say, 8 or 9 beeps, it could be a video card issue or a BIOS problem.

http://www.msicomputer.com/support/sup_tshoot.asp

Verify POST beep codes
Continues beeps or 1long 2short beeps = possible memory error
• Try re-seating memory or test with different memory
1long 2short or 8short beeps = possible video card problem
• Try re-seating video card, test system with known good video card
High/Low tone (siren sound)= CPU is overheating.
• Verify that CPU heatsink is properly installed and power connected

Check diagnostic LED codes from D-Bracket
Motherboards equipped with D-Bracket may provide useful diagnostic codes for common problems on the diagnostic LEDS.
• Listing of diagnostic LED codes can be located in manual for your motherboard .

AMI Beep Code

Deep Code Description
1 short DRAMS refresh failure
2 short Parity circuit failure
3 short Base 64k RAM failure
4 short System timer failure
5 short Process failure
6 short Keyboard controller Gate A20 error
7 short Virtual mode exception error
8 short Display memory Read/Write test failure
9 short ROM BIOS checksum failure
10 short CMOS shutdown Read/Write error
11 short Cache Memory error
1 long, 3 short Conventional/Extended memory failure
1 long, 8 short Display/Retrace test failed

AWARD Beep Code

Deep Code Description
1 Long, 2 Short A video error has occurred and the BIOS cannot intialize the video screen to display any additional information
Any other beep(s) RAM problem

Also: When you installed the new card, did you uninstall the old card's drivers and install drivers for the new one? And when you "try it with no GPU at all", do you mean you plug the monitor into an onboard video port and can then boot up and get the display to work?

Finally, if you plug the old X600 card back in, will it boot up that way with no problems?

If any of those is the case, your problem may be as simple as, the machine is booting up expecting to find the old X600 card, but instead finding something it doesn't recognize and freaking out. Procedure to fix that would be to boot up normally (using the X600 or the onboard video, whichever one works), uninstall the drivers for the X600, re-install the new card, and reboot. Some older machines are picky about replacing cards, in which case it sometimes helps to reset the BIOS after you uninstall the drivers but before you put the new card in. hopefully this helps.

godbrother

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
^^ Hi, To awnser the questions:

1) There is no on-built VGA it only works via a GPU installed.
2) When I take out what ever GPU there is, the beeps go away.
3) Yes, I've tried to reconnect the X600 back and it will still beep.
4) No I never uninstalled the drivers for the old one, I didn't see the need. And I don't think that will effect booting process.

Now, following the older advice, I switched out the battery and waited for around 20 seconds. When I recconected the battery, and connected the old GPU (x600) the problem went away... No more beeps! Horay... BUT now a new problem has come around. There is no display on screen. I also don't hear the HDD boot into windows either. I also tried the new GPU and still no beeps, which is a good sign, but as mentioned before... the beeps have gone after reseting the CMOS, but now no display.

Any advice?

godbrother

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009

Hmm, after around 20 minutes of messing around, switching out RAM, reseting the CMOS and replacing the GPU (all in random orders) it finnally worked on. I logged in and uninstalled ATI... Then I restarted... And again, it worked. wohoho! So I installed the new GPU, installed the drivers and yes, I restarted a few times and no problems. It's all good to play games.

Not sure what the problem may have been, perhaps the RAM, perhaps the GPU... but I did so much random crap out of anger, not sure what fixed it. I hope it stays this way for now. :)

Thanks for all your help. I think the whole CMOS thing may have fixed it.

A lot of times with older machines, it just takes some kind of "kick in the ass" to convince the motherboard to actually go look for a new card and recognize it. Hard to say what specifically will do it. But reseating the card could have done it, and I've also seen a system where a CMOS clear followed by reseating the card was what it took. For that matter, I had a system where I tried any combination of what you did, and what finally convinced it to look for components was removing and reseating the CPU itself. Go figure.

Well, as long as it's fixed now.

godbrother

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
Yeah, I know. It happens to me all the time, you do somthing random.. And it works. It does play MW2 kinda sluggish though, well that is the GPU I know but... I thought MW2 was the same as MW1. Looks like they've updated a few things by the looks of it.

MW1 would get around 50FPS on the X600Pro 1024x768 Low-Medium, 2xAA.

MW2 suffers on the 7600GS (double the X600) only 30FPS on 800x600 Low NoAA.