Honorable
Feb 19, 2018
Hi

I'm building a new system and would appreciate some help:
I'm using it for circuit board design and other and have no desire to overclock
or have fancy lights etc.

I've looked around and think GIGABYTE Gaming Z270XP-SLI is maybe a good
Mobo for me but I have many questions:

1. is this mobo Linux compatible (I want to install red hat or maybe centos if possible)
2. Is there a better or similar model people would recommend - what does "gaming" mean?
3. I plan to use Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2 GHz CPU with corsair 32GB 3200 ram
will this work ok on this mobo
4. The mobo talks of a "cooling block" - I have no knowledge of water cooling but what I need
is some sort of totally quiet system - can someone tell me the lowest cost way to do that?
(No overclocking will ever be needed)
If I must use water cooling can someone point me at an idiots guide for this please

I know I need a decent PSU - I'm assuming a 650W will cover that.

Any other advice would be appreciated -
TIA

jaz

Solution
1| Linux is compatible on pretty much any platform, you're probably going to need to get drivers off the net after installing the OS though.
2| Gaming is another term for the commonly used budget board. It often entails lower end componentry and in that same mix, have a couple of gamer centric bells and whistles.
3| If you don't plan to overclock and you can use the HT cores, then pick out the non K version of the i7-7700.
4| Since you're not overclocking, the ram should be 2400MHz and in that essence, you should be looking at B250 chipsetted motherboards.
5| Regarding the PSU, you should look at units as close to Tier 1. They often come with high end components and are silent until stressed.

You should list out...

Lutfij

Titan
1| Linux is compatible on pretty much any platform, you're probably going to need to get drivers off the net after installing the OS though.
2| Gaming is another term for the commonly used budget board. It often entails lower end componentry and in that same mix, have a couple of gamer centric bells and whistles.
3| If you don't plan to overclock and you can use the HT cores, then pick out the non K version of the i7-7700.
4| Since you're not overclocking, the ram should be 2400MHz and in that essence, you should be looking at B250 chipsetted motherboards.
5| Regarding the PSU, you should look at units as close to Tier 1. They often come with high end components and are silent until stressed.

You should list out your proposed system build in order for us to iron them out. On that note, what's your budget and where do you live?

Solution

jaz2018

Honorable
Feb 19, 2018
hi lutfij

Thanks for the feedback.
I'm UK based and am looking to spend up to about £800 (about $1100 USD) for these components plus the cost of a case/psu
(I have drives/monitor etc already)
I'm hoping this should be a decent spec to use for about 5 years

You mention drivers - do you know of any important issues I need to look at for this or similar setups?
(Are things like USB drivers up to date in linux for these boards etc.)

Based on your comments I'll go and look for the CPU and another mobo
(I read somewhere that the Z270 series was better to use than the Z370 for some reason
which is why I was looking at that - maybe another in that family is ok ? )

I'll go look and return later.
thanks again

jaz2018

Honorable
Feb 19, 2018
OK
I've had to stop - the options are just getting more and more confusing.

I think I just need cooling now - something capable without going daft - but it must be silent.
Any suggestions for the cooling?

(then a case that at least I hope is straightforward)
This is what I now have put together - if anyone can see any problems can you let me know :

PSU : Corsair CP-9020091-UK RM650x 650 W 80 Plus Gold Certified Modular 135 mm Thermally Controlled Fan
MOBO: MSI Intel 1151 Socket Z370 Chipset Z370A-Pro D4 ATX
CPU : Intel BX80684I78700 8th Gen Core i7-8700
RAM : Corsair CMK32GX4M2A2400C14 Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4 2400 MHz C14 XMP 2.0