[SOLVED] Motherboard CPU Compatibility

Jul 18, 2020
Do you have any idea about motherboard that has 4slot of RAM DDR4, and support Athlon 200GE, Ryzen 3 2200G, Ryzen 5, and 7 that has VEGA?

Please help, for future upgrade purpose. 😭

Since my a320 has 2slot only and defective. Cant use it anymore,

THANKS

Solution
Yes, but you need to pay particular attention to the details noted on each BIOS update version. Some versions will not work with Pinnacle, Raven or Summit ridge CPUs, which starts with version 3.6, so do not update past version 3.5 if you plan to use a Pinnacle ridge, Summit ridge or Raven ridge processor. Also note, that you want to update the the latest AMD All in One with VGA driver BEFORE updating to any BIOS version newer than version 1.5.

The big problem really is that technically they weren't going to support the newer CPUs, but now they are, so in order to do so on the ASRock and some of the MSI boards, they have to lose support for older CPUs. Once you update the BIOS to a version that supports the Vega integrated Zen 2...
Do you have any idea about motherboard that has 4slot of RAM DDR4, and support Athlon 200GE, Ryzen 3 2200G, Ryzen 5, and 7 that has VEGA?

Please help, for future upgrade purpose. 😭

Since my a320 has 2slot only and defective. Cant use it anymore,

THANKS
All ATX sized b450, x470 and b550/x57 MBs have those qualities.
MSI Tomahawk b450 MAX is first and best that comes to mind and will have support for soon coming 4000g series CPUs. Get one of those and you'll be set for long time to come.

Reactions: Tjelsa22
The B550 chipset is NOT compatible with any of the 3rd Gen APUs. Nor is it compatible with any of the Zen or Zen+ CPUs. It is ONLY compatible with Zen 2 processors including the 3000 and 4000 series models. The 3200G and 3400G are Zen+ architecture, not Zen 2.

*Note: AMD B550 chipset is not compatible with AMD Ryzenâ„¢ 5 3400G & AMD Ryzenâ„¢ 3 3200G processors.

https://www.amd.com/en/chipsets/b550

Also, OP is in Philippines so the only B450 boards I see available currently to them are the B450 Pro4 and B450 Steel legend.

Jul 18, 2020
The B550 chipset is NOT compatible with any of the 3rd Gen APUs. Nor is it compatible with any of the Zen or Zen+ CPUs. It is ONLY compatible with Zen 2 processors including the 3000 and 4000 series models. The 3200G and 3400G are Zen+ architecture, not Zen 2.

https://www.amd.com/en/chipsets/b550

Also, OP is in Philippines so the only B450 boards I see available currently to them are the B450 Pro4 and B450 Steel legend.

So you're saying that I can buy B450 and use my Athon, and in the future I can upgrade to Ryzen with Vega series? Correct?

Yes. Here's the deal. The current B450 and X470 boards support Zen 2 processors and the Ryzen 4000 series APUs WILL be Zen 2, not Zen 3, so it won't matter whether or not B450 supports Zen 3 (Which I've heard may go either way, support and not support, with support being the most recent thing I've heard from AMD) or not because they will support Zen 2 4000 series APUs.

You will want to make sure you update to the latest BIOS version before installing a 4000 series APU however.

Jul 18, 2020
Yes. Here's the deal. The current B450 and X470 boards support Zen 2 processors and the Ryzen 4000 series APUs WILL be Zen 2, not Zen 3, so it won't matter whether or not B450 supports Zen 3 (Which I've heard may go either way, support and not support, with support being the most recent thing I've heard from AMD) or not because they will support Zen 2 4000 series APUs.

You will want to make sure you update to the latest BIOS version before installing a 4000 series APU however.
Surething, i will update my bios. Just want to clarify, if my athlon will work on this board?

Yes, but you need to pay particular attention to the details noted on each BIOS update version. Some versions will not work with Pinnacle, Raven or Summit ridge CPUs, which starts with version 3.6, so do not update past version 3.5 if you plan to use a Pinnacle ridge, Summit ridge or Raven ridge processor. Also note, that you want to update the the latest AMD All in One with VGA driver BEFORE updating to any BIOS version newer than version 1.5.

The big problem really is that technically they weren't going to support the newer CPUs, but now they are, so in order to do so on the ASRock and some of the MSI boards, they have to lose support for older CPUs. Once you update the BIOS to a version that supports the Vega integrated Zen 2 graphics model processors, you will not be able to use the older Athlon on that board anymore.

Solution
Jul 18, 2020

The big problem really is that technically they weren't going to support the newer CPUs, but now they are, so in order to do so on the ASRock and some of the MSI boards, they have to lose support for older CPUs. Once you update the BIOS to a version that supports the Vega integrated Zen 2 graphics model processors, you will not be able to use the older Athlon on that board anymore.
Wooah. That's informative. I thought every updates, they just add something like they have a new supported cpu. Only to find out that,yes they have new supported cpu but they remove old version of processor.

Just to clarify, is Athlon Pinacle CPUs or something? Sorry i'm just gaining some knowledge here. 😂

It's Bristol ridge. Released in 2018. Not sure on compatibility of that model based on BIOS version updates because they don't mention or list Bristol ridge that I can see except on the CPU support list which is superceded by any notes on the BIOS update pages.

Bottom line is, it should work, but if you update the BIOS past one of those versions I wouldn't count on it continuing to work afterwards so be sure that you are ready to install the newer CPU when you do that.

Jul 18, 2020
It's Bristol ridge. Released in 2018. Not sure on compatibility of that model based on BIOS version updates because they don't mention or list Bristol ridge that I can see except on the CPU support list which is superceded by any notes on the BIOS update pages.

Bottom line is, it should work, but if you update the BIOS past one of those versions I wouldn't count on it continuing to work afterwards so be sure that you are ready to install the newer CPU when you do that.

Thats sad. because im not that kind of super tech. HAHA theres no way for me to determine if the board is updated or not. I think all i can do is to ask seller to update the bios from where athlon 200ge will work.