[SOLVED] Motherboard cpu connector cable too short

Osama Nawaz

Distinguished
May 5, 2015
The 8 pin connector for the cpu is too short on my motherboard, it still got connected but its getting in the way of some stuff and it the cable is resting on a heatsink. dont know how safe that is

I am thinking of getting an extender but I am unable to find a quality one.
The only ones i can get here are from China i think

https://www.daraz.pk/products/eps-8...-eps-extension-cable12-inches-i212090494.html

I saw this one, but dont know about its quality

Solution
You're correct to be concerned about it's quality, but I don't know if you have other options. The best idea would be to get one from a local PC shop who'll test it for you first, or at least from a highly regarded on-line source even if it costs more.

If you get it (or anything else) it's a good idea to check it out first: that means making sure each socket contact is wired to the exact same alternate socket contact. It's not that hard with a "bug light" you could make with a battery and a flashlight bulb...or an ohm meter if you happen to have one of those.

The next thing is the wire gauge they used: it may be as light as 20 or 22 gauge. It should be 18 ga. It's hard to...
You're correct to be concerned about it's quality, but I don't know if you have other options. The best idea would be to get one from a local PC shop who'll test it for you first, or at least from a highly regarded on-line source even if it costs more.

If you get it (or anything else) it's a good idea to check it out first: that means making sure each socket contact is wired to the exact same alternate socket contact. It's not that hard with a "bug light" you could make with a battery and a flashlight bulb...or an ohm meter if you happen to have one of those.

The next thing is the wire gauge they used: it may be as light as 20 or 22 gauge. It should be 18 ga. It's hard to know until you get it. If your processor is a low-power one it probably doesn't matter though, especially if you can use all 8 pins in your motherboard. Extra especially if it's a Ryzen as they're very low power CPU's.

Reactions: Osama Nawaz
Solution

Osama Nawaz

Distinguished
May 5, 2015

The next thing is the wire gauge they used: it may be as light as 20 or 22 gauge. It should be 18 ga. It's hard to know until you get it. If your processor is a low-power one it probably doesn't matter though, especially if you can use all 8 pins in your motherboard. Extra especially if it's a Ryzen as they're very low power CPU's.
thanks, ill check it out like that if i get one

my processor is 4790k, motherboard MSI z97m Gaming

Osama Nawaz

Distinguished
May 5, 2015

what about this one?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...f16535233114318030ee0bf!12000025235017574!sea

it is 18awg