Motherboard CPU Fan not spinning, but makes a squealing noise

PCGamerX

Commendable
Mar 29, 2016
Hey, today evening in my one of my old systems, which has an Intel DG965WH motherboard, CPU fan suddenly stopped working and started to make an acute squealing noise from the fan's rotor.
This happened because I tried to upgrade this system's processor with an E8400, which is incompatible with chipset, and system tried to boot but kept failing due to processor incompatibility, CPU fan ran at very very high speed at this point, and suddenly stopped working............
I tried this upgrade as I forgot to check chipset compatibility......
Old E6300 processor works fine, but my CPU fan header appears to be half-dead.
It may be overloaded or shorted when fan running at full speed.:(
I tested CPU fan header with a 12V Buzzer, it sounds well, means that positive and negative pins of CPU Fan header still working.....
One of other pins (3, 4) or both of them may not working and that's may be the Fan is squealing as it isn't getting any PWM signal.........
Please help me to understand what happened to this CPU Fan header and tell me what can I do for it to get it working fine again.
Now, my old system is running with E6300 processor and one chassis fan which connected near LGA775 Socket.:(
I can hear squealing noise of the fan's rotor by opening the case and listening to the CPU Fan.
Thanks in Advance.

Solution
The crappy way to fix it is to run it on the system fan header and just manually set the speed to whatever speed you need to keep the CPU cool under full load and have it run there all the time... New board is really the only other option

PCGamerX

Commendable
Mar 29, 2016

Yeah, forgot to say, I already checked this header with many Intel Stock Coolers I have and also with a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO one, all are making squealing noise, but all fans works when connected to SYS_FAN Header.:(

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
The crappy way to fix it is to run it on the system fan header and just manually set the speed to whatever speed you need to keep the CPU cool under full load and have it run there all the time... New board is really the only other option

Solution

PCGamerX

Commendable
Mar 29, 2016

Okay.......I am currently doing it.......But I like to know why all 4 pin fans connecting to this CPU_FAN Header are squealing???