Question Motherboard CPU light not turning off, and PSU clicks and restarts after 25 seconds ?

Jul 24, 2022
Hello guys.

I'm having troubles with my first PC build.

The CPU light on the motherboard doesn't turn off and when the CPU is installed, the PSU "clicks", turns off (after 20-25 seconds) and then turns on again.

Things I've tried:
  1. Tried with CPU installed (PSU turns off after about ~25 seconds and hearing a click), both with RAM on and off.
  2. Removed CPU and tried with both memory sticks on all 4 slots. Red light still turned on but it doesn't restart. I don't think it's the RAM sticks but I have no other way to test them.
Notes:
  • I removed all other components (GPU/case fans/cooler/SSD) so I think it's either the CPU, the motherboard or the PSU/cables.
  • When the CPU is installed, the power supply "clicks" after about 25 seconds and then it restarts.
  • Without the CPU installed, the red "CPU" light is still turned on but it doesn't restart.
  • I can't see the BIOS if connected to monitor via HDMI.
  • First PC build, so I have no other additional components to test.
I honestly can't tell if the motherboard is at fault or if it's the PSU or one of the cables. What can I try to find the faulty component?

Components:
  • Processor: Intel Core i5-12600KF
  • Motherboard: MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR4
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB DDR4-3600 CL18 (x2)
  • GPU: PowerColor RX 6700 XT Hellhound
  • PSU: XPG CORE Reactor 850W 80+ Gold
  • Case Phanteks Eclipse P400A
Video of the PSU clicking and turning off: https://www.dropbox.com/s/s5zo7wgt2ht7pcx/VID_20220724_181029.mp4?dl=0

I'd appreciate any help I can get.

Last edited:

Cyberat_88

Distinguished
<veiled insult removed by moderator>
Step 1 - You're going to need some silver thermal paste, as first install, I'd say buy more than 1 tube.
Step 2 - You need a heatsink and fan of good quality or liquid cooling, that need to be attached EVEN FOR THE POST TEST.
Step 3 - Apply the silver thermal paste on the cpu itself and put the heatsink on top, trick is to use just enough that when squeezed it will cover the surface but not overflow.
Step 4 - Lock the heatsink or liquid cooling head into place, not too tight, but not loose.
Step 5 - If you're lucky and you didn't cook the CPU already, you may see a post. Run without a GPU first, if the integrated video works.
Barebone posts are done outside the case all the time, because the case itself also may turn out to be problematic.

Jul 24, 2022
<veiled insult removed by moderator>
Step 1 - You're going to need some silver thermal paste, as first install, I'd say buy more than 1 tube.
Step 2 - You need a heatsink and fan of good quality or liquid cooling, that need to be attached EVEN FOR THE POST TEST.
Step 3 - Apply the silver thermal paste on the cpu itself and put the heatsink on top, trick is to use just enough that when squeezed it will cover the surface but not overflow.
Step 4 - Lock the heatsink or liquid cooling head into place, not too tight, but not loose.
Step 5 - If you're lucky and you didn't cook the CPU already, you may see a post. Run without a GPU first, if the integrated video works.
Barebone posts are done outside the case all the time, because the case itself also may turn out to be problematic.

Thanks for the response.

In the video I ran a test without the CPU. The test I made with the CPU did have thermal paste and a CPU cooler (Thermalright Peerless Assassin).

I'll try doing the test outside the case.

TRENDING THREADS