[SOLVED] Motherboard/CPU problem

mailo95

Honorable
Aug 23, 2015
Hello everyone,

I have Asrock 970Pro3 paired with Phenom II x2 555BE unlocked to Phenom II x4 B55 and 24GB RAM (my Proxmox homelab). I have some weird problem and I can't figure out where is the problem. MB doesn't save the UEFI settings for the CPU like frequency or voltage in stock or in unlocked 4 core mode. I tried to change the CMOS battery with new one and no success. Also tried to manually set the frequency and voltage settings but after reboot everything is stock, tried to re-flash the UEFI with the same version or with the older one but still no success. There are some weird things also noticed when tried to clear CMOS not every time is cleared, doesn't boot with 1 RAM stick on the 3rd slot (tried with all 4 that I have and randomly boots) and when CPU is unlocked the Asrock boot guard tells me that the system failed to boot 3 times and the UEFI settings are back to stock also happens in stock non unlocked CPU but not so frequently. The last weird thing that I noticed that even all of the 4 RAM slots are populated (correctly for dual channel) UEFI shows single channel mode. At the moment I don't have other CPU to check if the MB is the problem but the whole setup was working for about 3-4 years without any problems.

Can someone help me a bit will be grateful.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Solution
Hello everyone,

I have Asrock 970Pro3 paired with Phenom II x2 555BE unlocked to Phenom II x4 B55 and 24GB RAM (my Proxmox homelab). ..

Many strange problems....

When things like that start happening the best course is to return the CPU to it's stock configuration: PhenomII x2. If it works OK, that's probably it. More often than not there was a reason AMD locked off the extra cores, it just took a few years of degradation to find out.

If the system returns to stable and reliable operation with the CPU at stock you might go looking for other AM3/+ CPU's to fit in there to improve performance.
Hello everyone,

I have Asrock 970Pro3 paired with Phenom II x2 555BE unlocked to Phenom II x4 B55 and 24GB RAM (my Proxmox homelab). ..

Many strange problems....

When things like that start happening the best course is to return the CPU to it's stock configuration: PhenomII x2. If it works OK, that's probably it. More often than not there was a reason AMD locked off the extra cores, it just took a few years of degradation to find out.

If the system returns to stable and reliable operation with the CPU at stock you might go looking for other AM3/+ CPU's to fit in there to improve performance.

Solution