Question Motherboard, CPU & PSU replaced - no Boot. nothing ?

Jul 12, 2022
Decided to upgrade a very slow computer. Replaced the mobo with Gigabyte 550M H, the CPU with Ryzen 3 4100 and the PSU with a Cougar XTC 400. Used existing GV-N7 10D3-2GL GPU. Also used existing RAM 4GB DDR 4-2666 x 2. Powered up but absolutely no response. Not even a fan flicker. No lights, nothing. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jul 12, 2022
This sorry saga has ground to a halt. A got a new Antec Bronze 550 power supply, and connected it to the motherboard. Power on - nothing. Suspected the power button on the front panel, so shorted that -nothing. Replaced the main power cord feeding the power supply - nothing. Rechecked all header connections, still nothing. Surely I couldn't have scored a failed Gigabyte Mobo!

Is it possible that the AMD Ryzen 3 4100 4 core processor is not compatible with the Mobo? I attempted to research the compatibility, but I couldn't find that CPU mentioned. The Mobo box says not compatible with AMD Ryzen 5 3400 & AMD Ryzen 3 3200G - but not the 4100. And would that stop the BIOS booting anyway?

Any thoughts on further trouble shooting would be appreciated - otherwise I guess the whole lot will be going to land fill!

Jul 12, 2022
Hopefully not an Anteq VP or Basiq; they're also low-quality PSUs that will need to be replaced if you upgrade the GPU in the future.

Yes, you need the BIOS update. It won't boot without it.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B550M-H-rev-10/support#support-cpu

What happens when you manually start the motherboard by shorting the two pins?
Absolutely nothing. I swapped the reset plug to the power pins to be able to give a momentary to the motherboard, but no luck. I'll see if I can find a pin assignment for one of the power supply plugs so I can check the presence of voltage using a multi meter. If that is OK, then there must be fault with the motherboard. The power supply is an Antec Bronze 550. From what I could research, that should be a middle of the road unit.

Obviously without power to the motherboard, flashing the bios is not possible.

Jul 12, 2022
Absolutely nothing. I swapped the reset plug to the power pins to be able to give a momentary to the motherboard, but no luck. I'll see if I can find a pin assignment for one of the power supply plugs so I can check the presence of voltage using a multi meter. If that is OK, then there must be fault with the motherboard. The power supply is an Antec Bronze 550. From what I could research, that should be a middle of the road unit.

Have just shorted pins 4 & 5 on the main motherboard connector, and the powersupply fan started up, so it looks like the power supply is not the problem

Jul 12, 2022
Flashed the BIOS with the F14 version, and it looked promising, as the light was flashing on the flashdrive and the one in the chassis, and the CPU fan started up part way through the flashing. The system shut down on completion. With great anticipation, I shorted the power wires momentarily(the switch is disconnected) and ....nothing!