[SOLVED] Motherboard / cpu / ram / gpu upgrade. Nothing is installing on windows

Jan 24, 2020
I upgraded all the internals of my desktop: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/M2tgXL

I was able to boot up back into windows 10 after the build, but while trying to install drivers I noticed that nothing was installing.

Every installer would hang after a little bit and just stop moving forward.

Even windows update hangs at 0%.

Let me know what more information I can provide that might be helpful.

I have a lot of programs and configurations on here, a reinstall will be a significant time commitment. Would prefer not to except as a last resort.

Last edited:
Solution
Hmm that's what I was afraid of. Do you know of any way to upgrade windows in place and not have to reinstall all my programs?

Echoing the other comments, you need to reinstall windows, and no there is no way to upgrade in place and avoid reinstalling.

Its fairly rare that a Windows install from an old system works flawlessly on a new one. Despite what the two people who have done it and it actually works will tell you (they aren't here yet but I'm sure they will show up eventually).

On a system like you have Windows 10 install takes under 20 minutes. Configuring your programs may be more but if you have a backup drive you can avoid redownloading Steam Games and so on by backing those directories up and importing them...
Jan 24, 2020
I'm not able to see what hardware you upgraded as it's asking for a login...but if you used the same windows drive from the old hardware with the new hardware....I can see this causing your problem.

Oops, I updated the link.

Sorry but you'll have to do a reinstall of Windows. When you change motherboards there are far too many potential conflicts to easily diagnose the problem.

Hmm that's what I was afraid of. Do you know of any way to upgrade windows in place and not have to reinstall all my programs?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Echoing the other comments, you need to reinstall windows, and no there is no way to upgrade in place and avoid reinstalling.

Its fairly rare that a Windows install from an old system works flawlessly on a new one. Despite what the two people who have done it and it actually works will tell you (they aren't here yet but I'm sure they will show up eventually).

On a system like you have Windows 10 install takes under 20 minutes. Configuring your programs may be more but if you have a backup drive you can avoid redownloading Steam Games and so on by backing those directories up and importing them back in.

Solution
Jan 24, 2020
Yeah I'm starting to think that's the right solution. Only problem now is that I don't have an extra drive that's large enough to hold a new installation.

I was thinking of backing up my current boot disk and then formatting that, but since it is currently in use, a lot of files won't be able to be copied over.

D

Deleted member 14196

That’s not true everything you need should be able to be copied you only need your data like your documents and your photos and videos and that’s it

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Yeah I'm starting to think that's the right solution. Only problem now is that I don't have an extra drive that's large enough to hold a new installation.

I was thinking of backing up my current boot disk and then formatting that, but since it is currently in use, a lot of files won't be able to be copied over.

Yes thats your best choice, backup what you have to another drive and install on this drive. Files in use can be copied. You also can obviously skip the Windows directory.

USAFRet

Titan

No, copy your personal files.
Pics/Doc/Video/etc.

You're not trying to save the whole install.