Question Motherboard CPU section temperature

Feb 3, 2022
Good day.

I recently had to switch graphic cards due to old one getting messed up. When monitoring temperatures of card, I noticed CPUID HWMonitor shows high max temperature in motherboard CPU section. I am fully aware of monitoring software not being completely accurate or not reading info from sensors properly, but I still find this interesting and kind of worrying.

On picture below, the worrying values are highlighted. At the moment this screenshot was taken, there was Star Trek Online game running. When PC is idle, temperature is around 60, with temperature from CPU itself jumping casually between 45 and 52. Just to make it clear, I do have default cooler on the CPU (Ryzen 7 2700X).
My question is if this is normal or if this is indicator of something being wrong. If it is a sign, does anyone have any idea why this temperature level is a thing? It was told to me it could have something to do with air circulation in case, but that would affect more components in my opinion.

RgwfdAa.png

Feb 3, 2022
The CPU itself is reporting max of 80C package temp. The mobo CPU reading may be some other sensor. IIRC Tjct is the hottest reading of ANY of the CPU temp sensors.

According to this, you have zero case fans?
Two. Classic front-to-back flow circulation setup.

Feb 3, 2022
Strange, they should show right below the CPU fan in that screenshot.

What load caused the 80/90C CPU temp in your screenshot?

What GPU do you have and what is the GPU temp and fan speed under load?

Make/model of case?
They are connected externally, so not pluged into motherboard but into case itself where button for each has two speed modes and turn off option.

What caused it is hard to say, but if I were to guess, when something game-related was loading. That was the only more demanding thing happening at that point.

Currenctly, there's GTX 1650, but will be at some point replaced by RTX 3060. As for temp, it is normal and fan speed is controlled by MSI Afterburner, default setting.

As for case model, I cannot say as it has been almost few years since this PC was put together so I have nothing left to identify it now.

EDIT: One more thing, I am looking at Ryzen Master and finding that EDC (CPU) is constantly jumping between white, yellow and red values.

Last edited: