Motherboard cpu speeds

Jul 7, 2018
I have a old MS 7613 motherboard, iv just bought a i7 870 off eBay, 2.93ghz, and a turbo boost of 3.60ghz. i looked on the HP website about information on my motherboard, under the "processor upgrade information" section, it says "maximum processor core frequency <= 2.93 ghz" Does this mean i won't get the 3.60ghz turbo boost the cpu has to offer with this motherboard?
link to the motherboard https://support.hp.com/bg-en/document/c02014355

Solution

Turbo Boost allows the processor to run faster than its rated frequency and it is dependent on several factors like workload, operating temperature, power, etc.
That is why they can only guaranteed the Intel rated frequency of 2.93GHz, even though the CPU might run faster.

For the CPU to go...

Turbo Boost allows the processor to run faster than its rated frequency and it is dependent on several factors like workload, operating temperature, power, etc.
That is why they can only guaranteed the Intel rated frequency of 2.93GHz, even though the CPU might run faster.

For the CPU to go above its base clock speed, the system will assess the need (CPU load), then it will check its temperature and if it’s cool enough, then it will boost speed. Depending of the need, power and temperature it will determine how long the system will keep the boost speed.
Also you might see that not all cores might run at the top boost speed, specially if an app only uses a single processor.
You might be able to achieve even higher speeds that the top turbo boost if power and temperatures permit it.

Solution