Motherboard + Cpu upgrade HELP!!

LittleBecksX

Reputable
Feb 17, 2014
So I'm switching out my mobo and cpu soon and moving over to intel.

What would be the best way to do this for the most pain free results.
I'm currently running AMD A10 6600k and FM2 motherboard but will be moving over to the Intel i5 6600k and Z170 board.

I figure ill need to do a clean install of windows but I'm looking for help doing this as im still a 'welp' when it comes to the more technical stuff.

Thanks in advance

Solution

xFeaRDom

Estimable
Well, it is really simple once you know what you're doing, probably a lot more simple than you may realise.

What I would do is:

1 - Unplug all cables out of the old motherboard
2 - Uninstall/remove the old motherboard with both the CPU and CPU cooler still installed (In case anything goes wrong with the new installation it is a quite remove and install.
3 - Install the new motherboard with the CPU, then lay the case on the side and attach the CPU cooler, unless it is the stock cooler and can be installed easily.

You may need to read the manual for the motherboard to connect the front panel buttons correctly.

LittleBecksX

Reputable
Feb 17, 2014

Thanks. Will i need to do anything to make it run properly? Im Os is on its own drive with exception for my internet and a few docs but i can move those before setting up. what would be the best way to set it up? should i leave in my OS drive and install the OS disk and just install fresh or is there a better way to do it?

xFeaRDom

Estimable

I think the best way would to be fresh install it, even if you purchase a secondard HDD or something to back up the data on your current one (it will be wiped clean when the fresh install is applied) and then you can retrieve any needed data off of your current HDD/storage device.

I would recommend this when installing the OS though:

Unplug any other storage device other than JUST the drive you want the OS on, as it will spread the OS over a few drives, and create partitions on the other drives, and hence, if you remove it, it will not boot without fresh install/repairs.

Solution