Question Motherboard & CPU Upgrade

Domg13

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2013
Hi all,

Just looking for some advice on getting a new motherboard & cpu. The short version i've had my motherboard, ASRock z77 extreme 4 and my i7 3770k for almost 10 years now and I think my motherboard has finally come to it's last day. My CPU is still kicking, but I think it might just be time to upgrade both! It's been such a long ass time since I've had to research and stay up to date with the latest and greatest. I'm pretty sure I will have to upgrade my ram too, still have some DDR3 corsair vengeance.

If I'm being honest i've always liked Intel Processors, if anyone would like to share their thoughts/opinions to point me in the right direction I was planning on trying to find anything decent at Microcenter for a motherboard/cpu combo. Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you!

Reactions: Why_Me
What is your budget?

What's the primary purpose? Secondary purpose?

You can do a significant upgrade for say 400 to 600 if all you need is CPU, motherboard, and RAM.

What specific parts do you need? Just those 3? Or also power supply, case, cooler, operating system, drives?

New Intel processors rumored within a few weeks....near the top of the line. 13600K, 13700K, 13900K. Mid level stuff maybe not till January.

My advice is wait. I think amd socket am5 is coming out shortly as in the next couple of days. Look up the ryzen 7000 series. You could also go Intel 12th generation but Intel is about to come out with their 13th generation soon. The issue there is that will probably be the last cpu on that set of motherboards. I think amd is promising am5 support until 2025. Since you are going to be doing a new pc with new ram, board and cpu, I’d give that a look as well as Intel. The Intel you can get into cheaper right now but may not have as much upgrade room. However it should be a more matured platform so maybe less issues? You’ve definitely got options.

Edit: a search says the am5 launch is the 27th. If you need something now you can either go that way or if you go Intel you could even start with the i3 12100 or an i5 12400 for example and a good board, then sell the cpu and upgrade to 13th gen when that arrives.

Domg13

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2013
What is your budget?

What's the primary purpose? Secondary purpose?

You can do a significant upgrade for say 400 to 600 if all you need is CPU, motherboard, and RAM.

What specific parts do you need? Just those 3? Or also power supply, case, cooler, operating system, drives?

New Intel processors rumored within a few weeks....near the top of the line. 13600K, 13700K, 13900K. Mid level stuff maybe not till January.
I'd like to not spend more than 500 on the combo.

Primary purpose definitely gaming and just streaming video.

It would just be the motherboard and cpu, but I'm not sure if my DDR3 will work with newer boards? If It doesn't then yea I'll need some new RAM.

DavidM012

Distinguished
and don't forget a large 200+w cooler for it like a dark rock pro or noctua nh-d15 or some other large-ish 280mm or 360mm aio liquid cooler (an aio means you'll need to examine your pc case for compatibility).

You will need new mobo, cpu, ram and cooler probably and possibly a new case if you want a liquid cooler over an air cooler.

Domg13

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2013
My advice is wait. I think amd socket am5 is coming out shortly as in the next couple of days. Look up the ryzen 7000 series. You could also go Intel 12th generation but Intel is about to come out with their 13th generation soon. The issue there is that will probably be the last cpu on that set of motherboards. I think amd is promising am5 support until 2025. Since you are going to be doing a new pc with new ram, board and cpu, I’d give that a look as well as Intel. The Intel you can get into cheaper right now but may not have as much upgrade room. However it should be a more matured platform so maybe less issues? You’ve definitely got options.

Edit: a search says the am5 launch is the 27th. If you need something now you can either go that way or if you go Intel you could even start with the i3 12100 or an i5 12400 for example and a good board, then sell the cpu and upgrade to 13th gen when that arrives.
I'll definitely consider that. Was kinda hoping for something soon, with me getting back into World of Warcraft playing Wrath Classic I'd like to have my PC back up and running.

DavidM012

Distinguished
Also swag the Power supply from Evga. Definitely. Since your PSU is old. Can't be re-used on a new rig. Chuck it for safety reasons.

So basically more less entirely new pc. Only the drives can you re-use and you'll probably want a new n.v.m.e drive too.

Domg13

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2013
and don't forget a large 200+w cooler for it like a dark rock pro or noctua nh-d15 or some other large-ish 280mm or 360mm aio liquid cooler (an aio means you'll need to examine your pc case for compatibility).

You will need new mobo, cpu, ram and cooler probably and possibly a new case if you want a liquid cooler over an air cooler.
I have a Thermaltake View 71 TG tower with a Flor Riing RGB 360 Triple Radiator Fan, the 360mm ones I think it is?

It would just be the motherboard and cpu, but I'm not sure if my DDR3 will work with newer boards? If It doesn't then yea I'll need some new RAM.

You'll need new RAM.

DDR 3 is way outdated. DDR 4 common now and DDR 5 coming into vogue.

You may need a new power supply if your current power supply is 10 years old?

Case? Maybe not.

Drives, maybe not.

Cooler? Possibly.

Think about an Intel i5-12400 as a basic starting point. About 190

Maybe a B660M micro ATX motherboard, circa 160 or so.

16 GB of DDR 4 RAM in a 2 piece kit; maybe 50

That's about 400.

Remainder for other parts you may or may not need.

Domg13

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2013
Also swag the Power supply from Evga. Definitely. Since your PSU is old. Can't be re-used on a new rig. Chuck it for safety reasons.

So basically more less entirely new pc. Only the drives can you re-use and you'll probably want a new n.v.m.e drive too.
I have a EVGA 750W that still seems to be doing well, its not as old as the mobo & cpu. I figured i'd be fine still, running a 1070 SC2.

DavidM012

Distinguished
Good for you! I think you should be able to re-use that with an lga 1700 bracket if it's still in good nick and not too old. What's the exact model? There is one model of evga that is a bit doubtful for being 'less than 850w' on the psu tier list of the power supply section of the forum.

Hey anyway if you grab 2 evga's on sale... you could probably sell one on when it's not... trying not to cause a black friday event tho.

Domg13

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2013
You'll need new RAM.

DDR 3 is way outdated. DDR 4 common now and DDR 5 coming into vogue.

You may need a new power supply if your current power supply is 10 years old?

Case? Maybe not.

Drives, maybe not.

Cooler? Possibly.

Think about an Intel i5-12400 as a basic starting point. About 190

Maybe a B660M micro ATX motherboard, circa 160 or so.

16 GB of DDR 4 RAM in a 2 piece kit; maybe 50

That's about 400.

Remainder for other parts you may or may not need.
My PSU is a EVGA Supernova Nex750B honestly I'm not sure how old it is, it definitely has some years on it, but not as old as the mobo & cpu.

Domg13

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2013
Good for you! I think you should be able to re-use that with an lga 1700 bracket if it's still in good nick and not too old. What's the exact model? There is one model of evga that is a bit doubtful for being 'less than 850w' on the psu tier list of the power supply section of the forum.

Hey anyway if you grab 2 evga's on sale... you could probably sell one on when it's not... trying not to cause a black friday event tho.
It's a EVGA Supernova Nex 750B

If you are wanting most performance soonest then I’d probably suggest at least giving am5 a look. But you may spend a bit more. I looked for example at an i7 12700, that with a b660 board was like 476 or something. Plus add ram. I think am5 boards will be 200 or so at launch, and ddr5 is a bit more.

Another option not that I recommend this unless you get a good clearance deal is look at a socket am4 platform. I’ve got an amd 5900x and I’m happy with it. I’ll be upgrading to 32gb of ram and seeing what gets released. But that said if your current system is 10 years old any of these options will probably make you go wow!

Another question is what gpu are you using as the gpu will play a big role as well. You can have the latest amd 7950x but if your gpu is a gtx 1060 for example, you’d have a better experience with a 12th gen i5 and updating to a 3070 for example.

Domg13

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2013
If you are wanting most performance soonest then I’d probably suggest at least giving am5 a look. But you may spend a bit more. I looked for example at an i7 12700, that with a b660 board was like 476 or something. Plus add ram. I think am5 boards will be 200 or so at launch, and ddr5 is a bit more.

Another option not that I recommend this unless you get a good clearance deal is look at a socket am4 platform. I’ve got an amd 5900x and I’m happy with it. I’ll be upgrading to 32gb of ram and seeing what gets released. But that said if your current system is 10 years old any of these options will probably make you go wow!

Another question is what gpu are you using as the gpu will play a big role as well. You can have the latest amd 7950x but if your gpu is a gtx 1060 for example, you’d have a better experience with a 12th gen i5 and updating to a 3070 for example.
I have a EVGA 1070 SC2

Reactions: ohio_buckeye
So at least you aren’t on a 1050 or something. I will say though as you start upgrading you may get the itch to upgrade more. For example I think for 250 or so you can get an rx 6600 that’s closer to at least a 1080. But prices have recently come down and so there are some good values out there. It depends what you play and budget of course.

https://www.newegg.com/sapphire-radeon-rx-6600-11310-04-20g/p/N82E16814202415

Not sure what you are comfortable spending but being an amd guy myself, in your shoes I’d probably consider an Intel i5 or i7 with a mid range board, that should get you a good pick me up. Unless like I said they happen to have some fire sale to clear out am4 inventory. But definitely worth talking to the guys at Microcenter. The folks at my local one usually seem pretty knowledgeable.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Wow can eat up a gpu, and the cpu. For the @ $800+ price tag for cpu/mobo/ram, the 7600x is lousy value, it'll not be anything close to competitive until the B boards finally drop. For the most part it's barely better than a 12600k, bounces around the 5800x point, so pretty dismal, even if it is somewhat better than the previous 5600x.

At this point, a 5700x on a B550 mobo with 3600 ram is the far better value, especially considering how well WoW runs on AMD.

DavidM012

Distinguished
The assortment of boards for it... some lack good m.2 support, meaning fewer or slower drives, some lack usb 3.2, others lack ddr 5 support closing off an upgrade path. Others lack WiFi or bluetooth.

I read all these and thought... is there a board that doesn't have a drawback? Well maybe does not need or want xFire or Sli support...

Also this thread shows some builds for different levels of gaming:

4k 120fps ryzen 5800x build with an rtx 3090

Well that just about shoots down the budget in flames anyway.

The question is what's the optimal middle ground for it? Maybe try to keep the pci-e 4.0 support and ddr 5 option open.

Well if overclocking is not wanted that rules out the z690 range. The b660 range is limited in other ways. So the

The tomahawk is criticised for lacking a vrm cooler.

Well if you can cross reference the reviews to the features you want, and the features you can do without, to your budget... then you can find the board for you.

The i5-12600k should be pretty swell for apps. other than gaming. If you go with a Ryzen build well you'll lose some of the multithreading superiority of the 12600k. Well more is always nice to have for peripheral tasks like .zip, video editing, and other apps.

There are however no 'free bargain mhz' so you basically pay for every performance feature. The exercise is to squeeze as much as possible into your budget.

A micro atx board with 2 dimm slots and 1 pci-e slot for a gpu would do the job at the budget end but would be otherwise devoid of features.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RW6Z692
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz 32GB (2x16GB) CL16 $89.99

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813145373
GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 $164.99

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B660-AORUS-MASTER-DDR4-rev-10

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09NPJRDGD
Intel Core i5-12400F $174.99

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...2400f-processor-18m-cache-up-to-4-40-ghz.html

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09PCWK7SP
DeepCool AK400 CPU Cooler $34.99

https://global.deepcool.com/product...AK400-Performance-CPU-Cooler/2021/15222.shtml

or ...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09NPJDPVG
Intel Core i7-12700F $312.96

https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...-25m-cache-up-to-4-90-ghz/specifications.html

https://www.amazon.com/DeepCool-AK620-High-Performance-Dual-Tower-Dissipation/dp/B09CSXS3X4
DeepCool AK620 CPU Cooler $64.99

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/deepcool-ak620-review

i5 12400 / 12400F gaming benchmarks.

i512400.jpg

i7 12700 / 12700F gaming benchmarks.

i712700.jpg

DavidM012

Distinguished
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gigabyte-b660-aorus-master-ddr4

The auros master doesn't have onboard m.2 ports. You don't want to be limited to sata 3 disk speeds in this day and age! You could buy an extra m.2 add on pci-e card to support n.v.m.e drives but other boards have them native.

Well there's advantages and drawbacks to that approach. At least if the m2 goes wrong you can simply switch out the add in card rather than have to replace the entire mobo just for that. Not that I've heard much of m2 drive port malfunctions.

So filter the choice down a bit if you want an onboard m2 nvme drive support

I usually prefer a full atx board to a micro atx board, but this article helps you choose one with good vrms at the budget end if that's a consideration.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gigabyte-b660-aorus-master-ddr4

The auros master doesn't have onboard m.2 ports. You don't want to be limited to sata 3 disk speeds in this day and age! You could buy an extra m.2 add on pci-e card to support n.v.m.e drives but other boards have them native.

Well there's advantages and drawbacks to that approach. At least if the m2 goes wrong you can simply switch out the add in card rather than have to replace the entire mobo just for that. Not that I've heard much of m2 drive port malfunctions.

So filter the choice down a bit if you want an onboard m2 nvme drive support

I usually prefer a full atx board to a micro atx board, but this article helps you choose one with good vrms at the budget end if that's a consideration.
The B660 Master comes with almost everything you’d expect from a B660 board. There are three M.2 sockets, capable 16-phase 60A power delivery, a last-gen flagship audio codec, along with integrated Intel Wi-Fi 6 and 2.5 GbE. Gigabyte uses a black and gray heatsink combination here, which some may not find particularly appealing. That said, this is still a good-looking board and the heatsinks and shrouds covering most of the board, delivering a premium look.
You misread the Con. There's 4x standard Sata ports and 3x NVMe m.2 ports. What there isn't is a Sata capable m.2 port. So if you have a Sata m.2 drive, you are SOL, for Sata drives you'd need a standard 2.5".
The assortment of boards for it... some lack good m.2 support, meaning fewer or slower drives, some lack usb 3.2, others lack ddr 5 support closing off an upgrade path. Others lack WiFi or bluetooth.
DDR5 is expensive. Not only the ram itself, but also the mobo. As far as upgrade path, that's negligible, AM4 is still a viable platform, as is Intel DDR4, and a DDR5 platform will be 13th gen upgradable, next year, which is basically pointless unless you have an abundance of cash to spend on small improvements, twice. A meaningful upgrade would be a 12100 to a 13700 or K version if you opted for a $300+ Z690. Otherwise there's not all that much difference between a 12700 and the upcoming 13700. Even a 20% uplift means absolutly nothing but a few extra fps that are already well beyond op's monitor and gpu, even if Op upgraded both.

There comes a point where visible performance and benchmark performance become two totally different things and chasing benchmarks is for the foolish.
I prefer mITX. Much smaller footprint that does everything I need it to do without useless add-ons like 3x pcie slots, 4-6 Sata ports etc that never get used by 90% of pc's. To me, ATX is a waste of space with no realistic advantages over a well planned smaller form factor.

Last edited:

DavidM012

Distinguished
oh that was a bit confusing for a moment and went off on a tangent. So ok, The auros master looks like a good board and fits in the budget. I dimly remember there were some sata m2 drives now you mention it.

Yes I realise that there is not a lot of difference in 2fps or 10 fps and some capacity is unused if you buy a processor with a large amount of threads like the 13700k.

Sometimes the extra capacity can be useful for extra tasks like .zips or other apps but yes if infrequently used not really worth it.

Can't really guess how much larger/heavier software is going to get in the next 10 years. The intel range seemed to last the course for the last 10 years.

The 'if' to upgrade the gpu will become a when the 1070 eventually stops working. So mid range will be mid range for a while anyway.