Question Motherboard CRASHING/FREEZING Problem

Apr 26, 2019
Hello guys, I recently built a new pc .I am using the Aourus B450 Elite Motherboard and a NVMe M.2 SSD Samsung 970.The problem is that half of the times that I am trying to turn the pc on It gets Stack/Freezes on the Motherboard Dragon Logon forever .Last time that it did this the pc also made really loud sounds .The other half of the times it justs boots into windows normaly... Any idead how I can solve this?I installed the windows on the M2 SSD and I am also using a 1TB Hardrive.

Did you already have the 1 TB hard drive before you bought these parts AND was Windows installed on that drive previously? If the answer is yes, did you delete ALL existing partitions (NOT the same as "formatting" the Windows partition known as "C:") and then create a new SINGLE partition to replace the three or more partitions that would have existed on it when it was the main Windows device?

Did you have that HDD connected to the system when you installed Windows on the NVME drive?

Have you updated the motherboard BIOS? If you have not, that probably needs to be done if you are able to get into the BIOS without it freezing. If it only freezes after POST while trying to boot into Windows, then you should be ok to update the BIOS. If it freezes DURING the POST process, then that needs to be resolved first.

It would be helpful to know your FULL hardware specifications including CPU, memory kit number, EXACT power supply model number, CPU cooler, etc.

Apr 26, 2019
Did you already have the 1 TB hard drive before you bought these parts AND was Windows installed on that drive previously? If the answer is yes, did you delete ALL existing partitions (NOT the same as "formatting" the Windows partition known as "C:") and then create a new SINGLE partition to replace the three or more partitions that would have existed on it when it was the main Windows device?

Did you have that HDD connected to the system when you installed Windows on the NVME drive?

Have you updated the motherboard BIOS? If you have not, that probably needs to be done if you are able to get into the BIOS without it freezing. If it only freezes after POST while trying to boot into Windows, then you should be ok to update the BIOS. If it freezes DURING the POST process, then that needs to be resolved first.

It would be helpful to know your FULL hardware specifications including CPU, memory kit number, EXACT power supply model number, CPU cooler, etc.
All the pc parts were brand new and the hdd was conected as well as the SSD.Both disks were new so they were empty and it was the first time installing windows .When installing windows both ssd and hdd were options to install windows on and I just sellected the ssd.And yes I have updated the motherboard bios.
The other specs are ryzen 7 2700,PSU 550W CX CORSAIR,GPU Nvidia 1660 and Motherboard Aorus Elite B450

Even so, only the drive with the installation media (USB, DVD, etc.) and the target drive (In THIS case, the NVME PCI drive) should be attached to the motherboard until after the Windows installation is complete. Otherwise, Windows will OFTEN mistakenly install the EFI or boot partitions on the HDD rather than on the same drive as the C: partition where it belongs. Probably, that wouldn't case your current issue, but it might be AN issue. I'd disconnect the HDD and see if the system will still boot into Windows. If it WILL, then it is ok. If it WILL NOT, then you need to delete all the partitions on all the drives, that relate to the OS (EFI, Boot, Windows, Recovery) and start over, or at least find the hidden partitions on the HDD and delete those partitions, and then disconnect the HDD and do a CLEAN install over again on the M.2 SSD.

Windows doesn't work optimally at all, with it's partitions scattered around.

WHERE are the "really loud sounds" coming from? If you don't know, you need to find out. It's not normal, it's not acceptable, and it's probably relevant.

Apr 26, 2019
Even so, only the drive with the installation media (USB, DVD, etc.) and the target drive (In THIS case, the NVME PCI drive) should be attached to the motherboard until after the Windows installation is complete. Otherwise, Windows will OFTEN mistakenly install the EFI or boot partitions on the HDD rather than on the same drive as the C: partition where it belongs. Probably, that wouldn't case your current issue, but it might be AN issue. I'd disconnect the HDD and see if the system will still boot into Windows. If it WILL, then it is ok. If it WILL NOT, then you need to delete all the partitions on all the drives, that relate to the OS (EFI, Boot, Windows, Recovery) and start over, or at least find the hidden partitions on the HDD and delete those partitions, and then disconnect the HDD and do a CLEAN install over again on the M.2 SSD.

Windows doesn't work optimally at all, with it's partitions scattered around.

WHERE are the "really loud sounds" coming from? If you don't know, you need to find out. It's not normal, it's not acceptable, and it's probably relevant.
It happened only once when it froze and i think it was the fans spining really fast.So what you suggest is to remove the HDD and install the windows clean again while only the SSD is connected and then plug the hdd again.Did I get this right?

Yes, that would be the correct way, as outlined in my guide here, step by step.

However, I would first power off, unplug the HDD and see if Windows still boots normally. If it does, even once, then this is not relevant to the issue and you probably don't need to reinstall. If it cannot boot to Windows at all, then you probably need to do this.

Also, if booting into Windows is not the problem and the freezing occurs even before it starts trying to boot into windows, then something else is going on. It might be worth also unplugging ALL drives, including the M.2 drive, to see if there are still freezing issues or if you are able to POST and go into the BIOS without issues. If the problem is ONLY booting into Windows, and not just initiating the hardware system, it makes it clearer which direction we need to go with our troubleshooting process.