Question Motherboard cycling through Q-leds but not booting.

Mar 24, 2022
I have a ROG Strix B450-F Gaming ii motherboard, Ryzen 5 3600, 2x 8gb ddr4 ram sticks, Radeon 6600 xt gpu, and a 600 watt psu.

I recently bought this new motherboard due to me thinking I had a dead board but as of now the board cycles through the possibly problems(Dram, Cpu, Vga) and doesnt want to display. I had the same problem with my old motherboard and before then my computer shutdown randomly and wouldn't boot or display afterward so I think something must've happened for it to shutdown like that.

Please help me find the source of this problem.

I have a ROG Strix B450-F Gaming ii motherboard, Ryzen 5 3600, 2x 8gb ddr4 ram sticks, Radeon 6600 xt gpu, and a 600 watt psu.

I recently bought this new motherboard due to me thinking I had a dead board but as of now the board cycles through the possibly problems(Dram, Cpu, Vga) and doesnt want to display. I had the same problem with my old motherboard and before then my computer shutdown randomly and wouldn't boot or display afterward so I think something must've happened for it to shutdown like that.

What brand and model of psu are you using?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
What hookup are you using to the monitor? If display port, try hdmi instead or vice-versa.

Make sure the monitor input matches the gpu output.

Sometimes there's a bug in the Ryzens with bios that prevents the gpu from being fully recognised in the pcie x16_1 slot, and the gpu should be moved to the pcie x16_2 slot temporarily. That uses the chipset pcie instead of cpu pcie and will set the correct gen for the card. Auto doesn't always work right.

Once you get into bios, should be able to move the card back to the primary slot.

Mar 24, 2022

Update: I have successfully been able to get into bios 7 times and Tried to boot into windows once but after it tried an automatic repair for windows 10, the Red q-led(Cpu) was still on for a few seconds afterwards.
Could this be a failing cpu?

On the motherboards box, does it say ''Ryzen 2000 series ready'' or ''Ryzen 3000 series ready?'' Some of the B450 motherboards still need a BIOS update to run the 3rd gen cpu's. It was only really the B450 MAX range of motherboards that supported 3rd gen straight from the box.

The Psu is A Evga 600 Br 80+ 600w
I don't mind the br models in EVGA but from some post I made in the past people have made remarks towards it for feature notice, in an example some have said it won't power GPUs right, I think 2 or 3 said it had unstable cpu 4+4 pin power, and one made a very valuable note I hope helps you the eco switch on them....... Always always always leave in off 📴 it will most likely short the psu faster

Mar 24, 2022
On the motherboards box, does it say ''Ryzen 2000 series ready'' or ''Ryzen 3000 series ready?'' Some of the B450 motherboards still need a BIOS update to run the 3rd gen cpu's. It was only really the B450 MAX range of motherboards that supported 3rd gen straight from the box.
On the box it Reads Ryzen 5000 ready

Reactions: kurdtnz
Mar 24, 2022
When you swapped motherboards, did you do a clean install of Windows? (advised)
I am not even able to do that because sometimes the pc wont even try to boot into windows, it'll get to the splash screen and fail to even try to get into windows. When it goes to the splash screen there is a green light lit but after a moment the yellow light(dram) will turn on for less than a second and the red light (cpu) will stay on for about 2-3 seconds.

Mar 24, 2022
What hookup are you using to the monitor? If display port, try hdmi instead or vice-versa.

Make sure the monitor input matches the gpu output.

Sometimes there's a bug in the Ryzens with bios that prevents the gpu from being fully recognised in the pcie x16_1 slot, and the gpu should be moved to the pcie x16_2 slot temporarily. That uses the chipset pcie instead of cpu pcie and will set the correct gen for the card. Auto doesn't always work right.

Once you get into bios, should be able to move the card back to the primary slot.
The motherboard is recognizing the gpu in both the 1st and 2nd slot.
I tested on an old motherboard and it would boot up just fine and give me a display.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I'd say it sounds like a corrupted boot manager. Turn on the pc, as soon as windows starts to load, turn off by the power switch at the cpu or pull the plug. Do that 3x. On the 4th boot it should take you to troubleshooting repair screen. Have it try a repair.

Mar 24, 2022
I'd say it sounds like a corrupted boot manager. Turn on the pc, as soon as windows starts to load, turn off by the power switch at the cpu or pull the plug. Do that 3x. On the 4th boot it should take you to troubleshooting repair screen. Have it try a repair.
I remember I did this exact same thing with my old motherboard but right now its not even trying to get into windows it just turns off before that.

Mar 24, 2022
Do you have a windows USB? It can do the same since it's boot able.

But if it's not getting past post...
Have you tried pulling all of the drives out and drybooting?
Have you tried asus crashfree bios?
I have a usb with windows on it and it was able to post for longer than the last time but immediately shut off afterward, I also disconnected both my drives while doing this.

Also What is Asus Crashfree Bios?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
That board has a bios recovery in the event that there's something wrong. In the manual for usage. It's not drives, windows issue as those weren't present, it's doubtful it's cpu, ram or gpu as it's passing post and the Dr debug led checks. It's crashing while OS is loading, barely started. So my assumption would be its something in bios isn't copacetic with the changeover to windows. Could be TPM, could be half a dozen things, not sure where to go. It's odd.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2022
That board has a bios recovery in the event that there's something wrong. In the manual for usage. It's not drives, windows issue as those weren't present, it's doubtful it's cpu, ram or gpu as it's passing post and the Dr debug led checks. It's crashing while OS is loading, barely started. So my assumption would be its something in bios isn't copacetic with the changeover to windows. Could be TPM, could be half a dozen things, not sure where to go. It's odd.
Im going to assume it is either the cpu or ram since these are the only 2 things I haven't been able to test properly.

Tomorrow, I am going to have a friend of mine put both the cpu and ram in their setup and see if it has the same effect on their computer.

Last edited:
Im going to assume it is either the cpu or ram since these are the only 2 things I haven't been able to test properly.

Tomorrow, I am going to have a friend of mine put both the cpu and ram in their setup and see if it has the same effect on their computer.
What slots are your ram sticks in and what gen is the b450 f gaming ii this is the most common issue you are having is the ram in the wrong slots the new mobos don't all use a2 and b2 for dual channel dimm and it is also changed between the gens of mobos as well this whole building computers things is starting to become more and more of a pain in the back side because Manny want to constantly change the layouts of new equipment

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The slots on some Asus motherboards are still A2/B2 for dual channel ram, but the physical layout changed to B1/B2/A1/A2. All the other boards use the standardized A1/A2/B1/B2.

For a single stick, most will use #2 slot, those Asus boards use #4 slot instead, but with dual channel there's exactly no difference between using #2/#4 and using #4/#2 as A2/B2 or B2/A2.

I figure it was an Asus experiment, as A2 remains the Primary slot, but by making A2 #4 slot instead, those running a single stick of ram are not limited by giant aircoolers as none currently stick over slot #4, but slot #2 is often compromised, requiring low height ram, like Corsair LPX, just to get under the cooler/fan.

With Intel, dual channel only doubles the bandwidth, so unless you can saturate or exceed the bandwidth of a single channel, there's no discernable difference between single and dual channel. And that's game/app dependent.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2022
What slots are your ram sticks in and what gen is the b450 f gaming ii this is the most common issue you are having is the ram in the wrong slots the new mobos don't all use a2 and b2 for dual channel dimm and it is also changed between the gens of mobos as well this whole building computers things is starting to become more and more of a pain in the back side because Manny want to constantly change the layouts of new equipment
The Ram are in slots A2 and B2, on the motherboard manual it states to use these for 2 ram sticks.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You could try 1 stick at a time. Use a piece of tape to mark one stick. Use 1 in A2, see if stable. Then try same stick in B2. See if stable. Then switch sticks and repeat both slots. Write down results. Then do the same test again but set XMP profile. Might even repeat using A1/B1 slots as well, cover all bases.

That'll test the ram and memory channels and memory controller at default and xmp settings. If there's any errors, hopefully it's in one stick of the ram, not the mobo or cpu.

Mar 24, 2022
You could try 1 stick at a time. Use a piece of tape to mark one stick. Use 1 in A2, see if stable. Then try same stick in B2. See if stable. Then switch sticks and repeat both slots. Write down results. Then do the same test again but set XMP profile. Might even repeat using A1/B1 slots as well, cover all bases.

That'll test the ram and memory channels and memory controller at default and xmp settings. If there's any errors, hopefully it's in one stick of the ram, not the mobo or cpu.
I have done each stick in every slot and have gotten the same results, no display while cycling through the leds and not trying to boot into windows with no drives available apart from the usb with windows on it.

Also, How would I go about turning on the XMP Profile, All I see is something called DOCP?

Last edited:
I have done each stick in every slot and have gotten the same results, no display while cycling through the leds and not trying to boot into windows with no drives available apart from the usb with windows on it.

Also, How would I go about turning on the XMP Profile, All I see is something called DOCP?
With the psu unplugged have you removed the lithium battery from the mobo, and held the power button on the tower for 30s x2's then reset the battery and the psu cable