Feb 12, 2021
Hi, a friend of mine has assembled a desktop pc for me, at first everything worked well but a few days ago I connected a 2 TB external hdd to the frontal usb port of my pc but suddenly the hdd went so slow that I had to unplug the hdd and repair it using my laptop but since then the frontal usb ports of my desktop pc are no longer functional and when I connect a usb flash drive to the frontal usb ports of my desktop its notification light just keeps flashing and does not get recognized by my desktop and since that day i have to use my rear usb ports. I want to ask what may have caused this problem? and might this issue caused any damage to the motherboard of my desktop? Thanks

Solution
Have you powered down and reseated the cables and the motherboard and at the front panel header (if applicable)?

It's possible it's just a loose cable.
Feb 12, 2021
I'm thinking there may have been something wrong with the external drive (like a short)....that perhaps damaged the motherboard.

I think the motherboard would more likely be damaged than the ports themselves as it's more fragile.
But all the rear usb ports are working fine just the front ports are not working as well as my pc and also after the repair the external hdd is also working ok and i have used this hdd with other devices and it didn't bring any damage to those devices for about 2 years and this is the first time that I had to deal with this issue with this hdd. How can i know that my motherboard has been damaged or no? Thanks

Feb 12, 2021
"How can i know that my motherboard has been damaged or no? "

It appears that the motherboard may have been damaged.

The front ports no longer work.

You could try new cables and ports....but I would suspect the problem is with the motherboard itself.
Sorry for asking may this problem be caused due to a problem with just the front panel and not the motherboard? because even before the usb ports went unfunctional my headphone and microphone jacks were not working. Thanks for your replies

Sorry for asking may this problem be caused due to a problem with just the front panel and not the motherboard? because even before the usb ports went unfunctional my headphone and microphone jacks were not working. Thanks for your replies
Don't be sorry for asking.
Yes it is possible....but as I said....the motherboard is generally more fragile.
....and I'd be wary of using that external hard drive....because you don't want it causing more problems.

Feb 12, 2021
Don't be sorry for asking.
Yes it is possible....but as I said....the motherboard is generally more fragile.
....and I'd be wary of using that external hard drive....because you don't want it causing more problems.
Sure thing thanks for your advise. Is there any way to realise that my motherboard has been damaged or no? Any program or anything that can check my motherboard?