Motherboard dead, considering upgrade

Sep 5, 2018
Hi folks, looking for advice on a new motherboard (and potentially additional upgrades) for a 3-year-old custom build. My MSI 970 gaming motherboard died. Seems like I can't get that MB new anymore, so I'm looking for a good replacement. CPU is an AMD FX-8320E. GPU is Asus Strix GTX 960. (Basically used the build at this link https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2015/04/09/build-a-high-quality-1080p60fps-gaming-pc-for-750-benchmarks-included/#788f7663774f)

I'm a pretty casual gamer. Before the MB died, I had been thinking of upgrading to be able to smoothly run 1080p at high settings.

Option 1 is just replacing the MB. Any thoughts on the best replacement?

Option 2 is using this opportunity to upgrade a bit. Any combination MB, CPU, and GPU recommendations? If choosing CPU or GPU, which would get me a bigger boost in gaming?

Thanks!

Replacement motherboard will basically be whatever you can find in good condition on ebay, local used parts store or maybe a refurbished. You wont really find a new motherboard for a FX

As far as upgrading, for a new system something like the Intel 8100 or 8400, or on the Ryzen side the 2600. But you will need DDR4 RAM.

Bringing me to a good budget option that would still be an upgrade over your FX(FX were never good gaming chips) you could get a used 4th gen intel like a i7 4790k or i5 4690k or even a non K variant and compatible motherboard. You can use your DDR3 RAM that you have in your sytem or buy much cheaper DDR3 RAM and have a much stronger gaming CPU then put your savings towards a better GPU like the 1050ti, RX570, GTX1060/RX580