Question Motherboard dead?

hololand

Reputable
Dec 26, 2015
I went to bed last night and turned my computer off as normal. I woke up this morning and tries to turn the PC on. Absolutely nothing happened. The lights were on in the pc so my first assumption was that the power button on the case was broken somehow. So I tried the switch on the mother board and that didn't wrong either. No POST, no fans. Nothing. I have tried a different power supply / swapped ram out / tried a different wall socket. I have tried clearing the CMOS etc with no luck. I even removed the GPU and C drive an attempt to get it to start POSTing but had no luck. Nothing I have done has gotten it to POST or get the fans to spin. Please help I have a test tommorow and this is some seriously inconvenience timing lol
Specs -
I7700k
Asus Maximus IX Formula
32GB ddr4 tridentZ memory
Gtx 980TI
Samsung 960 pro M.2 ssd C drive

Do you have access to a multimeter? I think you should try to measure that the pwr button actually close contacts when pressed.
If id does close, then you can reseat the connector anyway so that it may get contact again (if corrosion is the issue). You could also use 'contact stray' on the connector pins that increase the likelyhood for good contact.

You could also try to short the pins on the mobo where you normally connect the pwr button. BUT - you should only do this if you're steady on your hands so that you don't short sometinh that might damage the motherboard further.

If nothing above help, then the motherboard is probably defective.

Last steps to try:
  • Remove any non-essentilal pci and usb devices.
  • Remove front panel connectors for any led or reset button that is not essential.
  • Remove bios battery - if it is empty (you measure that with multimeter) try to replace it.
  • Remove the motherboard itself and see if there is any metal objects between the back plate and motherboard.
  • Try to remount the samte motherboard and try to power on - be gentle and avoid unneccesary mechanical stress.

Last edited:

hololand

Reputable
Dec 26, 2015
Thanks for the quick reply, I dont have a multimeter on hand but can pop out and get one in a bit. Just wondering though, given both the case power button and motherboard one are not working would this not eliminate it being a contact issue with the power socket / button as both would have to be broken for this to happen?

Your motherboard pwr button should have done the job.

Try turning the psu power off and unplugging the psu from the wall.
Then replugging the psu and turning the psu power button back on.

Also verify that all of the psu cables are firmly plugged into their sockets at both ends.

hololand

Reputable
Dec 26, 2015
Update from me, the bare board with just the power connected should at least post something. The blue leds and reset cmos light seem to be the only thing that work on this board. Power buttons do nothing. Am almost certain the board just bricked over night.

hololand

Reputable
Dec 26, 2015
Without a processor, cpu cooler, ram and a monitor, you should not see anything.
Afaik with this motherboard it should atleast display some qcodes without the CPU. As for the CPU cooler I know for a fact this motherboard can run fine without as my cooler broke around a year ago and the PC was operating fine for a couple of hours before I noticed the temps and clock speed throttling. I have tried both with and without ram, Also I put a motherboard speaker on as it should beep to indicate missing ram. As for the monitor, I am not looking for a display on the monitor. I am far from that stage. I am just looking for any signs of life on the boards display.

hololand

Reputable
Dec 26, 2015
Also on topic, If this last little test in unsuccessful, I will be purchasing a replacement asap. Given the circumstances of this board randomly breaking overnight whilst shut down (but plugged in and on at the PSU). Would I be wise to purchase a new PSU? We have eliminated the PSU being the problem at present but it may have surged or something and caused the motherboard to break. As I failed to mention this previously I should note that the PSU is 850W Corsair HX850i, So should be of good quality.

note: I do have the PSU connected to the mains via a surge protector so I consider this unlikely?

hololand

Reputable
Dec 26, 2015
Just put it all back together and had no luck. The clear cmos button seems to be the only functional button on the board. Looks like I'll be buying a new one. Thanks for all the help though guys.

hololand

Reputable
Dec 26, 2015
Nah, Board is clean and visibly in perfect condition :(
Just ordered myself a new board. One last question though, How likely is this to be the PSU surging and killing the board?
Should I order a new PSU too to be safe in case it surges again or something? It would be another 150 pounds so I don't want to if I don't have to,

Do you live in an area where lightening and consequently overvoltage in powergrid have being an issue?

Theoretically it is not possible to rule out defective PSU, as it may kill a motherboard. But there is too little information to have an idea of the likelyhood of that as of yet.