Question Motherboard dead?

deadend41

Reputable
Mar 26, 2020
Hello everyone!

I am not the kind of guy to use forums (I should start using forums) but I need a few opinions.

I have a strange problem. It started a few months ago and as an idiot I didn't follow my gut feeling and spend a lot of money without fixing it.
So the problem is as follows:
Sometimes when I turn on my PC I don't get any signal to the monitor (it is a tv that has HDMI input). When that happens the PC might load to the desktop (I know because TeamViewer starts with Windows.
I suspect it's the <Mod Edit> motherboard but I would like someone else's opinion.

Hardware:
AMD Ryzen 2600x
Adata 2x8 gigs ddr4 memory
ASRock fatal1ty b450 gaming k4
Nvidia 750 ti (old GPU)
Nvidia GTX 1070ti (current GPU second hand)
Adata 256 ultra m.2 ssd (system)
1TB HDD (I don't remember specifics about is)
PSU cooler master B700 v2

I think that's everything. What I tried is to change the GPU. Since I needed a new one anyway a bought the 1070ti. I tried the old one on another PC a few days ago and it worked like a dream. Yesterday and the day before I managed to use my PC normally but today the same story. I tried to use another monitor (second hand from a friend) unfortunately I had to use an adapter for HDMI to VGA but for some reason it didn't work.

Ask me anything. I believe the motherboard is <Mod Edit> and that's the course of my problems. Sometimes it fails to detect the OS on the ssd and sometimes it fails to see the ssd at all.
I removed the components one by one and tried to start the computer. Result was the same...
I am never going to buy a motherboard from ASRock ever again.

Hope your day is going well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't 100% put it on the MB just yet.
It could be something as simple as a bad connection.
...and I think it could also be the power supply.
You seem to have somewhat eliminated the GPU as the culprit.
I would power down....and unplug each plug one at a time...inspect them for anything odd....and replug them.
I would also do the same with any cards like the GPU.
If the problem was still there...I would run HWInfo when you get a signal and I would look at the voltages.
You want them within 5% of 12,5 and 3.3 always. I would put a load on and see how low they dropped with a heavy load. (Voltages generally tend to go down under load)
...and then make sure they stayed within the 5%.
If you had another suitable PSU to swap in....that would be ideal.

deadend41

Reputable
Mar 26, 2020
I wouldn't 100% put it on the MB just yet.
It could be something as simple as a bad connection.
...and I think it could also be the power supply.
You seem to have somewhat eliminated the GPU as the culprit.
I would power down....and unplug each plug one at a time...inspect them for anything odd....and replug them.
I would also do the same with any cards like the GPU.
If the problem was still there...I would run HWInfo when you get a signal and I would look at the voltages.
You want them within 5% of 12,5 and 3.3 always. I would put a load on and see how low they dropped with a heavy load. (Voltages generally tend to go down under load)
...and then make sure they stayed within the 5%.
If you had another suitable PSU to swap in....that would be ideal.
Thanks for the quick response. I am beat tonight so I will try to do that tomorrow morning.

deadend41

Reputable
Mar 26, 2020
It decided to fix itself for now but if it happens again I have a second monitor. It might be the tv doing the problem. About the connectors, the all looked good. I could have checked the 24 pin connector with a multimeter but I had to travel yesterday so....
When I get back I might use a volt meter and I might make a super unsafe (for the PC) 24 pin testing connector to check the amps too.
I don't know if I could do much untill the problem appears again. I could try that software for the voltages but I believe that using my multimeter might be a better and more accurate way.

PS:
Now that I thought about it making that connector would take too much time and it would be way to unsafe for the PC. I believe I can find some amp clamps. That might work.

deadend41

Reputable
Mar 26, 2020
I think I found out what the problem is. It appears that, for some unknown reason, both bios and windows have problems with the handshake between them and the monitor. I read that an INF(ore something like that) file can help me fix this. The problem is that I need some info from the manufacturer but I don't know where to look.
If somebody can help my tv is:
Sharp LC24CHF4012ES
I would really appreciate all the help.
Jay32267 thanks again for the help.
By the way I still hate the motherboard and it still fails to find the OS on it from time to time.

Last edited: