Motherboard defect randomly?

ShadowSlayer

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013
Hi all, so I have had my motherboard for about a year now. I only built the rest of the PC about 4 months ago though. I have had a few hicoughs with the system (1080p video stuttering every now and again, I put that down to use dual monitors with intergrated gfx). But all has been good and it ran fine on a stress test which I ran for 3 hours. Temps are good etc, but earlier today my PC was acting VERY weird, I turned it on and went to type my windows password but my keyboard wasn't turning on/connecting. I made sure it was all connected, switched USB ports to no avail. So I rebooted. Then neither my keyboard or monitor would boot/connect (monitor would not recieve input from PC). I turned it all off again and turned it off and on again at the plug, now my PC starts and all is good apart from my BIOS made me re-set up(seems as though BIOS went corrupt?).

Now, to get to the point my PC has been turned off at the wall and I put a bin bag (static electricity alert) on top of my PC case yesterday without thinking, when realising I removed it quickly but did not check to see if it was OK, today is the first time I have used it since then. So I am wondering if my mobo could be damaged from the static in the bag even though it was plugged in at the wall but turned off and in the case? If not could it just be a bit of bad luck/random issue that won't re-occur? Everything is working as normal now, RAM is good, HDD is good as is the CPU. Any ideas?

Mobo: MSI Z87-GD65
CPU :I7 4770K
RAM: DOMINATOR PLATINUM 1600MHz
GFX:Intergrated 4600

Solution
Putting anything on your system case which discharges static cannot possibly harm the internal components, no more than you touching the case which you probably do every day. There is no risk of damage from ESD in those circumstances, none at all.

If your BIOS settings had to be re-configured, the CMOS battery on the motherboard may need replacing with a new one.
Putting anything on your system case which discharges static cannot possibly harm the internal components, no more than you touching the case which you probably do every day. There is no risk of damage from ESD in those circumstances, none at all.

If your BIOS settings had to be re-configured, the CMOS battery on the motherboard may need replacing with a new one.

Solution