Question Motherboard died after RAM set to 3600Mhz

Feb 16, 2023
Hi, everyone,
I have Asus z370 f gaming motherboard which by specifications should work with RAM up to 4000Mghz, but as soon as I added my new Kingston 3600Mhz ram and choosed the Profile1 from the XMP in Bios. The motherboard completely died and it even smelled like burned.
Because I ordered a new motherboard board, but I will be afraid to use this RAM again so my question is “Is it a motherboard fault, Power suply ir Ram? My power supply was 1050watts, which I thought it was enough. My cpu is i7 8700k which was running at 5.1Ghz without any problems. Any experience would be appreciated.
Thanks.

ps I am sorry. I am new to this forum. This is my first post. The make and model of PSU is Chieftek Polaris 850w.1050w Gold Plus. That is stated at the box. Brand new. I wonder why I have two wattages listed as well. The operating ssystem Windows 11 freshly installed. RAM is Kingston Fury brand new with two profiles 3000mghz and 3600. It worked fine under 3000mghz. 2x 16gb. I took out the motherboard and looked for visible signs, but it looks like brand new. I also wonder if the motherboard or the cpu is dead as when I press the power button nothing happens. Bot a single fan or any noise at all. Only one small diod on the motherboard blinking red. I think it is the motherboard but I can only assume. The problem occurred when I switched from Profile 2 3000mhz to Profile 1 3600mhz, saved the bios and restarted. Just before loading the OS computer died and nothing ever since.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage (1050 Watts noted), age, condition (original to build, new, used, refurbished)? 1050 watts is not a usual value - typo perhaps. Did you mean 1,500 watts?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity?

RAM: full specs and configuration?

Did you confirm via Asus's website that the RAM specs and configuration was indeed supported by the Z370 ?

"Smelled like burned".

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Use a bright flashlight to look everywhere for signs of damage, burned, browned, blackened, melted, cracked, swollen, liquids, etc..

Even if you must disassemble the build to look.

so my question is “Is it a motherboard fault, Power suply ir Ram?
The only way it could be RAM fault is if the XMP profile had very wrong voltage setting. Then when motherboard tried to boot with that voltage it got burned. Quite unlikely though and easy to check - next time you use the RAM on default settings go to Windows, run CPU-Z and see voltages for XMP profiles at JEDEC table.

You had a high 5.1 overclock on your processor.
As I recall, overclocking a I5-4690K in the past, I had to lower the ram speed or I had issues.
They did not result in motherboard damage like you had.
Fast ram is not very effective for intel processors anyway.

Since the motherboard is toast,
see if you can't return the motherboard in favor of a 13th gen motherboard with ddr4 support.
A suitable lga1700 motherboard will start at $100 or so.
A $150 I3-13100 would be stronger.
A $235 I5-13400 would be very much stronger.

Feb 16, 2023
I bought another z370 motherboard Asus prime this time, with another 8700k processor because it was damaged too. I installed different ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mghz and Rtx 3070 graphic card. I overclocked to 4.9 this time and the motherboard burned again after starting the performance test with pcmark. even I saw the flame on one chip in the upper right corner. I guess this is because of a bad power supply. What else could it be? The power supply is stated gold Polaris 850.1050watts. I don’t understand.