[SOLVED] Motherboard died and same model unavailable. Windows 10 won't boot. Can I "fix" old C: drive after installing Windows 10 on a different drive?

Nov 19, 2020
The motherboard and graphics card in my son's computer died after his 2yr old daughter spilled a coke into it (case has fans on top). This means, of course, that I can't prep the old system disk. A same model replacement MB isn't available any more so I've got new parts.

Windows 10 won't boot (not surprising) so I've installed a temporary disk and installed Windows 10 on that. Is it possible to "fix" the old system disk with bits from the temporary one so it will boot? If so, can someone point me to a How-To or list the steps here?

Solution
The motherboard and graphics card in my son's computer died after his 2yr old daughter spilled a coke into it (case has fans on top). This means, of course, that I can't prep the old system disk. A same model replacement MB isn't available any more so I've got new parts.

Windows 10 won't boot (not surprising) so I've installed a temporary disk and installed Windows 10 on that. Is it possible to "fix" the old system disk with bits from the temporary one so it will boot? If so, can someone point me to a How-To or list the steps here?
Most often it would depend on the mother board hard drive controller as to if you can get the old windows drive to boot on the new machine. The boot would have problems and would think that a bunch...

Most often it would depend on the mother board hard drive controller as to if you can get the old windows drive to boot on the new machine. The boot would have problems and would think that a bunch of hardware has failed and. That a bunch of new hardware has been found. It is pretty ugly and it is better to do a clean install on a new drive and copy data from the old drive and reinstall apps. Often you can transfer the windows license to the new machine by going to the online account that holds the key. Just to save the cost of the windows license.

Solution