Jul 6, 2021
Hi everyone,

approx. 6 years ago I bought a computer that I needed for graphic design and 3D design. I didn't know anything about computers back then, I just told which programs I use and they build me a (gaming) computer and it worked perfectly. The only thing I had to replace last year was the Antec Kühler H20. And this probably caused my new problem..

My Motherboard ( Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 3 ) died. I've been told that now I also have to replace my RAM (16 GB Dual-Channel DDR3) and Processor (Intel Core i7 4790 ), because new Motherboards are not compatible with my old components (I've even looked for a used motherboard, but didn't find it).

Now I really don't know what to do. Is it worth to replace the components or is it best to buy a whole new computer?
My Graphic card (Nvidia GeForce GTX970) is also 6 years old, so it's probably a matter of time how long it will last?

The shop, where I bought my computer, unfortunately doesn't work anymore.

My (new) computer guy told me, he is not sure it is worth to buy new components.

I've got an option to buy a graphic station (used) HP Z440 for about 900€ / 1000$ , but I never worked with one, so I don't know how they are + they can't tell me how old the station is. I just get a one year varranty , but after that, changing components there is SUPER expensive, I assume?

Before, I was planing to buy a laptop, so I would have a PC and a laptop for work, now I have nothing :neutral:

I am on a budget, because eventually I will need both PC and a laptop and I really have no clue what to do right now. I'm still leaning a bit towards changing components, but I don't know how much it would cost me.

I will appreciate any advice.

Solution
If your current(non functional) system cut the cake for you to this point, perhaps look into a B85 chipset motherboard which should be cheap to find off of Ebay or Aliexpress to get your head above the water but if you're really interested in investing on a concurrent platform, then yes you're going to have to go for a CPU, motherboard and ram combo. If your PSU is up to the tsk then that can be recycled but units that are 6 years old aren't exactly recyclable devices.

You should also stylize your post akin to this thread, so we can find the best possible route for you/your system and your work(perhaps).

Lutfij

Titan
If your current(non functional) system cut the cake for you to this point, perhaps look into a B85 chipset motherboard which should be cheap to find off of Ebay or Aliexpress to get your head above the water but if you're really interested in investing on a concurrent platform, then yes you're going to have to go for a CPU, motherboard and ram combo. If your PSU is up to the tsk then that can be recycled but units that are 6 years old aren't exactly recyclable devices.

You should also stylize your post akin to this thread, so we can find the best possible route for you/your system and your work(perhaps).

Solution

TRENDING THREADS