Motherboard does not lineup with case Standoffs

RebelliousPear

Reputable
May 30, 2014
Im in the middle of my build and I am trying to install the motherboard into my case, I can get the motherboard in, but not completely lined up with the case standoffs. I have been trying to line them up for the past hour and Im starting to get frustrated. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Motherboard: Gigabyte H97-D3H http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128712&cm_re=gigabyte_h97_d3h-_-13-128-712-_-Product

Case: Corsair Graphite series 230t http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139027&cm_re=Corsair_graphite_230t-_-11-139-027-_-Product

the mobo is ATX and the case supports ATX so I dont see why there is an issue with mounting. Also, if it helps, I cant seem to get the I/O ports to completely snap into the I/O board that came with the mobo.

Thanks for the help.

mgolus

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012
Off the top of my head, only suggestions I can offers are to make sure the I/O panel is snapped in to the case completely. Also make sure no metal tabs from the I/O panel are getting inserted into any of the ports accidentally when you slide the motherboard in. Perhaps try installing the motherboard without the I/O panel to see if it fits fine without.

Also, don't tighten any of the screws holding the motherboard in until you get them all of them at least started. I typically start with the screw at the top left of the motherboard (closest to the PS/2 and USB ports on the motherboard) then go to the bottom left. Once I get those in, I do the rest.

If you still can't get it in, can you possibly post a few pictures showing the issues?

RebelliousPear

Reputable
May 30, 2014

the I/O panel is most definitely all the way in, no metal tabs are being inserted in the ports, and I have tried installing the mobo in without the I/O panel and it was still the same way.
I haven't actually tightened any screws because I haven't been able to line up the mounting holes :/ .
So I guess Ill try and post pictures a few.

can't you take the standoffs out? A case of mine several years ago had them pre-screwed in, I just took them out and aligned them into the correct position. Make sure your motherboard is getting close to right in the corner of the top left of the case, it might just 'slip' in.

RebelliousPear

Reputable
May 30, 2014

Nope. The standoffs are soldered in, no way to take them out. There were 2 however that I was able to unscrew with some effort because they did not align with any mounting holes and were touching the back of the board

RebelliousPear

Reputable
May 30, 2014

Yeah they line up, Ive also tried marking the mounting holes on paper and lining it up to. When I do that it lines up fine. If it helps some, there are only 7 mounting holes on the mobo, and there are 11 in the case.

RebelliousPear

Reputable
May 30, 2014

Sorry for the delayed reply, my internet went down last night. But I took out the I/O backplate and the motherboard fit without it. I did some more "tinkering" with it and it turns out the metal lips on the backplate were keeping the motherboard from sliding in all the way so I pushed those forward and out of the way and the motherboard fits nicely.
One more question though, when I was taking the mobo in and out of the case i brushed the bottom of it on the standoffs, but there is no visible scratches. Will this damage the motherboard at all?

RebelliousPear

Reputable
May 30, 2014

Yup, everything went together smoothly after that and now it runs like a champ and has handled eveyrthing I've thrown at it.

Actually, that book did quite a lot of damage...

CAaronD

Honorable
Feb 27, 2014
I have the same problem. The thing fits WITHOUT the IO shield, while the thing can't fit with the IO shield no matter how firmly I snap it in. And I'v pe brushed my mobo against the case more than ten times now trying to align the things :/ Should I be concerned?

CAaronD

Honorable
Feb 27, 2014
Ohhh, the manual says to remove pci slots before installing motherboard? How do I do that? My case is the Cooler Master Elite 431+ and the video on Youtube about the elite 431+ build isn't helping.

RebelliousPear

Reputable
May 30, 2014

So if you look at the back of the case you should see a row of about 7 small plates with two screws on either sides of them. Those are the PCIE expansion slots, on the inside of the case you should see some little finger screws that are holding them in place. When you instal your graphics card on your mobo the display ports will stick out of the back of the case. You need to unscrew the little screws and slide off the little grills (you usually only need to do 2 but it depends on the gpu).

Also about scraping your motherboard, I know your pain (hence the post), luckily I have figured it out since July and I haven't had any problems. After 3 hours trying to fit in the motherboard I took out the I/O shield and it slid right in. I brushed and bump the bottom of the mobo multiple times on the standoffs and have had no problems. As long as their aren't any visible scratches or little bits missing from the board then I think your fine. Just remember to install the board on standoffs and make sure any extra ones aren't touching the bottom of the board or else it will short out when you power it on.

CAaronD

Honorable
Feb 27, 2014
Lol, yeah. I realized how hard I had to push the board to screw in the screws xD Took me the same amount of time as you too, lol. After a lot of painful scraping of the MOBO too xD I had to push the motherboard to the left HARD while I screwed in the screws into the standoffs, lol. After screwing about two (not properly), you are able to screw a few of them in PROPERLY. Then later on you remove the screws that you didn't screw properly, and rescrew them. Took me 2 and a half hours to figure it out >.<

RebelliousPear

Reputable
May 30, 2014

Yup, it can be a real pain in the ass :). Good luck with the rest of your build!