[SOLVED] Motherboard does not work with AMD 5700 XT, but works with NVIDIA 1080 Ti. What's going on there?

donutcoffee

Prominent
Jan 3, 2021
I have an old motherboard. You can find a link to it over here. I have been told that it uses the "G41 chipset."

Now, getting onto the problem: when I plug in a 1080 Ti into this motherboard, it boots up fine. Windows runs fine. Everything is good. However, when I replace the GPU with an AMD 5700 XT, keeping everything else the same, it doesn't work. It runs POST or whatever (I can see the BIOS and can select boot devices), but when I select one of the boot devices (I tried both a Window and a Linux operating system on external SSDs), both of them resulted in a blank screen, and the OS didn't load at all from there on.

I'm really stumped here. Is the 5700 XT not compatible with my motherboard? If it isn't, why would it work with the BIOS just fine? I haven't been able to find any information about compatibility online. \

I checked PC Part Picker, and the 5700 XT should be compatible with the CPU I'm using (an E7500). So maybe the motherboard is the issue? Why would the 1080 Ti work, but not the 5700 XT? What motherboard would work with the 5700 XT? I'd really appreciate any help here.

Solution
Last of legacy bios boards were during 2nd gen icore Intel's. Everything since has moved to Uefi.

New motherboard means a system overhaul. New cpu and DDR4 ram. Windows 10 is also recommended on newer systems for driver support.

Intel motherboards
100/200 series = 6/7th gen
300 = 8&9th
400 = 10/11th
500 = 11th

Amd motherboards
300/400/500 series = 1xxx/2xxx/3xxx/5xxx gen Ryzen processors.

donutcoffee

Prominent
Jan 3, 2021
Nvidia are more for giving when it comes to legacy boards. Amd have dropped legacy support for their modern cards requiring Uefi bios.

Thanks, I figured just as much. So when looking for a new motherboard, what do I do? Do I have to specifically look for one which "supports UEFI" or something? Or it "has a UEFI BIOS"?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Last of legacy bios boards were during 2nd gen icore Intel's. Everything since has moved to Uefi.

New motherboard means a system overhaul. New cpu and DDR4 ram. Windows 10 is also recommended on newer systems for driver support.

Intel motherboards
300 = 8&9th
400 = 10/11th
500 = 11th

Amd motherboards

Solution

donutcoffee

Prominent
Jan 3, 2021

Intel motherboards
300 = 8&9th
400 = 10/11th
500 = 11th

Amd motherboards

Thank you for your reply. May I clarify what you mean?

So you're saying that if a motherboard uses DDR4 RAM, I should definitely be good to go as it is a UEFI motherboard.

And you're saying the motherboards that you listed will also work? 100/200/300/... for intel, 300/400/500 for AMD?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Not just because of DDR4 ram but yes, any modern motherboard will be Uefi. I mentioned ram because if you did upgrade to a new platform that the memory standard now is DDR4.

Support for DDR3 ended with 6th gen Intel and Amd's AM3 platform. Anything newer (even if bought second hand) will require DDR4.

donutcoffee

Prominent
Jan 3, 2021
Not just because of DDR4 ram but yes, any modern motherboard will be Uefi. I mentioned ram because if you did upgrade to a new platform that the memory standard now is DDR4.

Support for DDR3 ended with 6th gen Intel and Amd's AM3 platform. Anything newer (even if bought second hand) will require DDR4.

Thank you! Honestly I need a way to tell if old motherboards support UEFI. The reason is I'm trying to buy a motherboard from ebay and stuff (really old ones which is why the one I have doesn't support it in the first place). Is the best way just to google "does X motherboard support UEFI" ? Or is there a better way to look out for it? I've tried that and quite often they don't list anything about UEFI in motherboard specs.

donutcoffee

Prominent
Jan 3, 2021

According to this link, there's no way to tell for sure if a motherboard is UEFI. Is that true?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Uefi released in 2007 and legacy bios was obsolete from motherboards pretty much since 2012. New motherboards still do have legacy support as a feature incase people need it for older hardware but all motherboards nowadays is Uefi by default.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Thank you! Honestly I need a way to tell if old motherboards support UEFI. The reason is I'm trying to buy a motherboard from ebay and stuff (really old ones which is why the one I have doesn't support it in the first place). Is the best way just to google "does X motherboard support UEFI" ? Or is there a better way to look out for it? I've tried that and quite often they don't list anything about UEFI in motherboard specs.

Yeah, searching the specific board's manual online will soon let you know.

Reactions: donutcoffee

boju

Titan
Ambassador
You'll be looking at P67, z77 (socket LGA1155) 2nd/3rd gen board for, ie, i7 2600 or i7 3770 or z87, z97 (socket 1150) for 4th gen, i7 4770 / 4790 processors. Older LGA775 socket motherboards which is yours, won't have Uefi in that era. Different socket, different cpu so hopefully you are aware of the socket change if get one of those boards.